Chapter 16: Learning About Teresa and Newt's Limp

(A/N: this chapter is gonna be Angelina's POV I kinda wanna take a break from my POV just for a little bit.)

Angelina's POV:

As Chuck and I were messing with Uncle Gally, I saw Uncle Thomas and I remembered from the story that Mom and Dad told us that Uncle Thomas loved a girl named Teresa and that she was my aunt. I wish I could have met her but she died before I was born.

"Uncle Thomas?" I ask him.

"Hey! What's up, Angelina? How are you doing, kid?" he asks me with a smile and ruffles my hair, messing it up. I laugh.

"I'm doing good. How about you?" I reply.

"Eh. Just chilling with your Uncle Minho. He's complaining that your cousin Chuck wasn't named Minho Jr. again." he says as he turns his head to Uncle Minho and chuckles. Uncle Minho and I didn't really hang out much, but I still met him though when I was little. He always made me laugh with his sarcasm and sass.

"Anyway, wow, look at you. You're growing up. And you look so much like your mother when me, your father, and the others met her a while back. Except we weren't your age, we were about 3 years older than you. So what's up?" Uncle Thomas says.

"Well, my mom and dad told me and Chuck everything that happened with the Glade, the maze, the Grievers, the scorch, W.C.K.D., and the Flare, everything. I was in awe of that story. You guys have literally been through a lot. I wish you guys told me that a long time ago, but I understand that it was violent and scary to know about when I was young. But also...I remember that my mom told me I had an Aunt Teresa before I was born. She told me you loved her. Did you?" I say to Uncle Thomas. He looks down at the mention of Aunt Teresa.

"Yeah. I did love her. But...she betrayed us and revealed that she worked for W.C.K.D., but she did what she thought was right. She didn't know what she was doing. But she realized what she did and helped us and she died saving me. I miss her everyday, and I just wish she was here with us. You would've loved her." he says as tears fill up his eyes. I wrap an arm around him and rub his back.

"I know. I know how you feel. But my dad told me that she's watching over me...and you, too. Right up there, and I bet she's proud of you for making it all the way here and she's probably glad to have me as a niece even though she's not here." I say to comfort him. He looks at me with a smile and gives me a loving hug.

"That's right, sweetie. You have learned so much from your parents and you have a very good heart just like them and you're very inspiring like your father. And you really know how to cheer others up. We're all glad to have you in our lives." Uncle Thomas says as he hugs me.

"Thanks, Uncle Thomas." I say.

Uncle Minho comes over and jumpscares me by tickling me out of Uncle Thomas's arms.

"Jesus, Uncle Minho! Stop!" I fall to the ground, laughing my butt off.

"Sorry, Angelina. When I saw you over here, I just couldn't believe how big you're getting, I wanted to tickle you like when you were a kid. Ah, the good times." Uncle Minho says with a smirk. I roll my eyes.

"Speaking of the good times, my parents told me everything about what you guys have been through with the Glade, the maze, the scorch, W.C.K.D., and all that." I say to him.

"Ooh, did you get scared?" he asks.

"No. Not at all, just emotional at the end. My mom showed me the letter that my father gave her and it made me emotional. And it made me feel bad for you guys since you guys have been through so much." I answer.

"Mm. Did your father tell you he broke his leg, too?" Uncle Minho asks. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"No, he has not told me that in the story. What happened?" I answer.

"Man, I remember like it was yesterday. That was a horrific day. Your father, he, uh...he felt empty that we all weren't gonna make it out of the maze, and he was a Runner like me, so he snuck into the maze, found the tallest wall that he could, climbed it, jumped off, and landed on the maze ground, breaking his left leg in different places. He waited till nighttime to come so the Grievers could find him and eat him. So...I found him, lying there, dying. I picked him up, took him back to the Glade in time before the maze doors closed, and the med-jacks nursed him back to health, but he ended up having a limp for years. He felt pathetic having the limp." Uncle Minho told me what happened to my father and how he broke his leg. I was in shock and heartbreak that he tried to commit suicide. I tear up at the thought. I say goodnight to Uncle Thomas and Uncle Minho and run back to the cabin. I need to confront him for not telling me about that in their story.