Chapter 2

Tenzin watched with pride as the vines recoiled from the hole in the building. He saw his daughter meditating in front of the vines and smiled, knowing it was her that had fixed the vines. Just then her image started to flicker.

     "Jinora?" Tenzin said, worried. She didn't respond to him as she stared fading.

     "Jinora!" he shouted, running towards her. He wasn't fast enough and she faded before he could reach her.

     "Jinora!" he shouted again as he fell to his knees where she had been sitting. "Where did you go?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

     "How long as she been gone?" Korra asked. She had just arrived back from her meeting in the North and Ikki had immediately informed her about what had happened to her sister, with Meelo's help, of course.

     "Two days," Tenzin said solemnly. Korra nodded.

    "Take me to where she was when she disappeared."

    Standing in the spirit wilds, Korra looked around.

    "And you said she was sitting in front of this one?" she asked, pointing to a vine.
    "Yes," Tenzin said. He was so worried about her, he hasn't slept since she disappeared.

    Korra touched the vine and closed her eyes. She looked for Jinora through the spiderweb of vines. No matter how hard she concentrated, she couldn't find her anywhere.

    Korra sighed and stood up saying, "Tenzin, I'm so sorry, but I don't see her."

Tenzin had tears in his eyes. Where on Earth could she be? he thought sadly. Korra suddenly remembered something that she had heard Lord Zuko and Katara talk about. It was an animal called a Shirshu. It could find Jinora anywhere in the world. She proposed the idea to Tenzin and he looked at her uncertainty.

    "Do you truly think it could find her?" he asked. Korra nodded and encouraged him to trust her. He sighed and said, "Anything that has even a remote chance of finding her is worth pursuing."

    The next day, August, the grandson of the last Shirshu owner was standing in front of Korra, Tenzin, Kai, Pema, Ikki, Meelo, and Lord Zuko. Korra held out a nightgown that belonged to the fifteen-year-old. The Shirshu sniffed it then started sniffing the air. It circled the group, sniffing all around, but not seeming to find her sent.

    "Sorry guys looks like your friend's gone," August said. "I have stuff I gotta do now, so Ima split." The twenty-year-old hopped onto the Shirshu and left.

    "What does he mean 'gone'?" Kai asked, worry making his voice crack.

    "I remembered a time when Avatar Aang went missing. We called on August's grandmother and she said that 'gone' means 'she doesn't exist anymore'. Wherever she is, it's not somewhere any of us can reach. I'm sorry Tenzin, but all we can do is wait." Lord Zuko said solemnly.

    The seven of them looked between each other, resignation that they couldn't find her showing as sadness on all of their faces. Pema turned into her husband and cried with him, not knowing where she went was killing Jinora's parents and the Shirshu was their last hope. Now? All they could do was wait until she came back.