Chapter 1:1

Holly
· · ─────── · 𖥸· ─────── · ·

I awoke to the steady patter of raindrops on my windowsill evaporating into mist before the violent sun-rays. The steady sound bought calmness in my mind, a natural and soothing melody. Just what I needed to calm my headache.

Slowly and steadily, my feet found the floor. The connection caused my body to sway a little. The headache had now found its way back. I padded towards the kitchen, my tummy moaning for some food.

"Nathaniel?" I called into the empty house. "Nate?" He wasn't at home. My dad, Ash Barnes, often left me on my own and this didn't really surprise me. What did was the fact Nate left me. This wasn't normal. He usually never went anywhere unless he knew someone was with me. This was the nature of an overprotective brother. I was used to someone being around me wherever I went, I liked the secure feeling. I needed someone to look after me like my mother did. And my dad wasn't capable.

Skimming the kitchen, I found a note pinned to the notice board which was also next to a hogwarts entry letter which I put there yesterday, out of pride.

Out to get some groceries. Milk ran out. Won't be long. N xx .

Well then, it looks like I would have to wait a little longer to get some breakfast. I strolled the kitchen, looking for something to occupy myself with. My hands trailed across the oak island, following the way of the bumps. My mum chose this table; her favourite type of furniture was oak. She was fascinated by this texture that now the whole house was the definition of oak.

A smile spread across my face. These memories stayed with me forever, hugged me tight in the darkest moments. They reassured me, comforted me. I enjoyed their company.

My eyes caught the calendar near the door. It was Sunday. Sunday dinner with the Blacks. I didn't mind going to the Blacks house either. Walburga was my mum's best friend. She treated me like her own and cared for me like a second mother, which made the visits so special. Walburga's son, Sirius, was my best friend, and we had been really close for a while. He knew everything that I was going through and we shared everything. I would make sure that my friendship with Sirius Black would stay with me forever.

"Holls? Holls, are you awake?" Nathaniel asked as he entered the house.

"In the kitchen" I replied.

"Whoa it's raining heavily out there, I'm soaked," Nate said. He strolled in, rubbing his hands against each other to generate some warmth.

"Do you want me to dry out your coat?"

"Nah you're alright" His hair was dripping, drops running down the length of his face. He had the same hair colour as me; chestnut brown. We mostly shared the same features: freckles, cognac eyes. Our dad didn't give us much; genetically and literally. Most features were inherited from our mother.

Nathaniel grabbed a towel, violently drying his hair, causing it to point in different directions, shortly after placing the towel around his neck. "So," he smacked his hands together "What do ya fancy for breakfast?"

"Um.." I hadn't actually thought about that. What did I fancy? "I don't really mind.. whatever you prefer"

"Fry up it is!" He exclaimed, setting the pans down on the cooker.

I took a seat on the oak bar-stool, watching my brother prepare breakfast.

"So we're going to the Black's today; it's Walburgas birthday." Nathaniel spoke first, focused on frying the tomatoes.