twenty two

"SO, I get my license next week," Hawk told Violet and Miguel as they rode on their electric scooters.

"Uh huh."

"My mom's going to give me her Sentra," he continued. "I'm thinking about putting a blue racing stripe down the middle, hood to tail."

"Subtle, I like it," Miguel said.

Violet nodded along, "You and your car'll match."

In front of the dojo was a group of unfamiliar kids.

"Looks like we've got some new students."

Hawk smirked. "Fresh fish."

Violet and Miguel made eye-contact.

"He's gonna do something, isn't he?"

"Yep."

One of the boys standing by the doors nudged his friend and pointed at Miguel and Hawk.

"It's the champs."

"Check this out," Hawk muttered.

Violet sighed, "Don't—"

"Hey, mouth-breathers, move it," Hawk snapped at the boys.

"Sorry about that," the same one apologized. He seemed very kind, Violet noted. "I'll get the door."

"So you guys wanna be Cobra Kais, huh?" Hawk asked. He pretended to throw a punch; The boys flinched. "You got a long road ahead of you."

"Sorry about him," Violet apologized to the boys as they held the door for her.

"Woah, what the hell happened here?"

One of the mirrors on the back wall was completely shattered, and there was a burnt patch in the corner of the room by the trash can.

"Maybe Sensei threw a party," Violet joked.

"Must've been pretty sick if fire got involved," Hawk said, studying the broken mirror.

The others were also discussing the mess, until a sharp "QUIET!" shut them up.

"The dojo's closed to new students today," Johnny informed the kids loitering in the doorway.

"We just wanted to sign up after we saw the tournament," the kind one said.

"Do I need to say it again? Get out!"

"Yes, sir— Sensei," one stumbled.

"Let's go, move it. Come back tomorrow. And bring your checkbooks!" Johnny shouted. "Everyone, fall in!"

Violet and the others got in their spots and faced the front. She wondered why he seemed so irritated today.

"Must've been a rager, Sensei," Hawk said, not picking up on the mood.

"Yeah, were you celebrating all weekend?" Miguel added on, smiling happily. Violet pursed her lips; By the look on Johnny's face, things were not about to end well.

"Celebrating what? My students are a bunch of pussies."

Their faces dropped.

"Diaz, Hawk, up front."

Confused, the boys made their way to the front. Violet had a vague idea on what this could be about, but why was Miguel up there, too?

"Hawk, did you attack your opponent when his back was turned?"

"Yes, Sensei."

"Diaz, did you purposely attack your opponent's injury?"

"Yes, Sensei."

"You think that makes you badass?" Johnny asked. Miguel didn't answer. "What's the matter, too tough a question? Maybe you need some help. Ms. Robinson!"

"Yes, Sensei," Aisha answered.

"Two cobras in the jungle. One kills the strongest lion, the other kills a crippled monkey. Which cobra do you wanna be?"

"The one that kills the lion, Sensei."

"And why's that, Huang?"

"Because it killed a stronger animal," Violet responded.

"Correct. Cobra Kai is about being badass," Johnny raised his voice. "And the baddest badass is the one who beats his opponent when he's at his strongest."

He got in Hawk's face, "Not when his back is turned," then Miguel's, "not when he's injured!"

"Is that understood?"

"Yes, Sensei," the class murmured.

"That means no more cheating, no more fighting dirty. From here on out, those are pussy moves, and you don't wanna be pussies, do you?"

"No, Sensei."

"Good. It's why I had you wear white belts, we're starting over," he told them. "Diaz, Hawk, 50 push-ups on your knuckles. Ms. Robinson, warm them up."

"Yes, Sensei."

Violet's face clearly portrayed the confusion she felt. She loved Johnny like a father, but she wasn't too fond of what he just did.

Why was he punishing them for doing what he told them to? Just before the tournament, he was giving them a pep-talk on doing whatever it takes to win. No mercy. Isn't that exactly what Miguel did? Why was he suddenly switching his philosophy?

There was one thing Violet was sure of, though.

Johnny Lawrence was an awful lot concerned for someone who was supposedly just some competition in a tournament.