thirty eight

AFTER Violet's legs started working again, the rest of recovery was a breeze. Johnny and Miguel helped her relearn how to use her legs and strengthen them. Demetri occasionally checked on Violet over the phone. He'd been putting off seeing her in person, for some reason.

Since Violet was able to walk rather normally, Johnny decided that it was time to be a sensei again. The problem was, he had no ideas for a name or where the dojo itself would be.

"What about 'Johnny Lawrence Karate'?" Miguel asked.

"Or 'Strike Hard Karate'?" Violet added. She sighed when Johnny didn't answer, and turned to Miguel, "He's not even listening."

"Come on, we're trying to think of new names for our new dojo."

Violet peered over Johnny's shoulder to see what was distracting him so much. He'd been staring at the messages between him and Ali for the past five minutes.

"How long do Facebook messages take to get delivered?" Johnny asked, disregarding Miguel's previous statement. "Ali's in Colorado, so probably a while, right?"

Miguel stared, "It's instantaneous."

"What about 'All American Karate'?" Violet suggested.

"It's not good enough," Johnny said. "We need something that tells everyone we're the most badass dojo in the Valley."

"Yeah. It sucks that Cobra Kai's such a badass name," Miguel sighed.

"What if we just keep that?" Johnny asked. "But we spell cobra with a K. They can call us triple K."

"Like KKK?"

Johnny blinked.

"Yeah, it's probably a bad idea. Alright, whatever. We'll figure it out. But first, we need students."

"It's my first day back at school today. I could help recruit," Violet spoke up.

"But where are we gonna train?" Miguel asked Johnny.

"You let me worry about that. You two just focus on getting us students."

The moment Violet walked into school, everyone's eyes were on her. Some clapped, and others cheered. There was a large poster on the railing of the stairs that read, "Welcome back Violet!"

"Okay, I was not expecting that," Violet mumbled, blushing under all the attention.

Miguel laughed, "Well, you were on the news."

"Hey, Princess!"

Miguel stiffened, "I'm gonna go to my locker."

"Wait, no don't leave me—"

Miguel was already gone.

"Damnit."

"Welcome back," Hawk said in a cocky sort of voice. He was definitely playing it up because they were in public, and it irritated Violet to no end.

"Thanks," Violet replied dryly.

"So, you're out of that wheelchair, huh?" he asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Yep."

They stood in the middle of the hall awkwardly, until the bell rang. Violet hurried off without giving Hawk a second glance.

On the way to first period, people smiled at Violet and even gave her high fives. She would be a liar if she said she wasn't enjoying the positive attention at all. Her smile slowly fell, though, when she caught sight of Demetri.

More specifically, the cast on his right arm.

"Hey, the Comeback Kid! Welcome back," Demetri greeted cheerfully, not noticing her questioning stare. "I hope to make a similar triumphant return to the land of the mobile appendage masses."

"What happened?"

Demetri glanced at his cast, "Proximal radius fracture."

"It smells," a voice butted in.

Violet wondered if there could be any more surprises today. Yasmine was talking to Demetri? Well, it wasn't exactly kind, but before she wouldn't have even gone near him.

"I put a lemon rind down there to mitigate that," Demetri told the blonde. He then pulled out a red pen from his shirt pocket. "The invitation for you to sign it still stands."

Yasmine scoffed, "Hard pass. At least when you used to be a thorn in my tits, you were getting me an A in science. Now you can't even do that because you're defective."

Violet gaped after Yasmine as she strutted away, then turned back to her friend.

"Okay, so, how did you break your arm?"

Demetri sighed. He'd been avoiding seeing Violet in person because she would've seen the cast, then asked about it, and she would've found out what Hawk did. Of course, he knew she would find out eventually, but he wanted her to recover in peace.

"We've got a lot to catch up on."

When the bell signaling the start of lunch rang, Violet wasted no time in marching straight to the cafeteria and to the Cobras' table. As soon as she got there, she yanked one of the red spikes on Hawk's head.

"Hey!" he shouted, glaring at her along with the other Cobra Kai's. "What the hell's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" Violet asked. "You broke Demetri's arm!"

Hawk's eyes flickered to the ground momentarily.

"So, what? You should be thanking me for getting revenge on Miyagi-do. They started the fight, we finished it."

"That's not what Sensei taught us."

"He's not my sensei anymore."

"After everything he did for us, you're betraying him?" Violet asked.

"He betrayed us," Hawk raised his voice slightly.

Violet gave him a sad look, "This isn't you. It's Kreese, he's manipulating you. Have you ever stopped to think about what Kreese is telling you? Really thought about it? Do you believe it?"

Hawk hadn't responded yet, so Violet continued talking, lowering her voice so only he could hear.

"Look, you can still leave Cobra Kai and join Sensei's new dojo. It could be like before."

Hawk paused momentarily, "He has a new dojo?"

"Hey, guys. Check this guy out! He's got a dick in his hand!"

Kyler was holding up Demetri's casted arm for everyone to see, and there was a large drawing of a penis on it. Demetri yanked his arm out of Kyler's grip and scurried out of the cafeteria as everyone laughed at him.

Violet stepped forwards to go after him, but stopped momentarily and turned back to Hawk.

"Just tell me when you make your decision, alright?"