thirty four

THE tunnel was dark and humid, almost suffocating. Violet ran and ran, but no matter what, it didn't seem like she'd gotten any closer to the end.

"Violet," a female voice echoed. "It's mama. You're doing so well, sweetheart. Keep fighting. You can do it, I know you can."

The voice stopped for a few seconds.

"We all miss you. Johnny's been a wreck; I had to help clean his apartment again."

She gave a watery chuckle.

"Eli, too. I saw him in the hospital after the fight. He ran out of his own room because he wanted to know if you were okay . . ."

The voice faded.

Violet's shoes thumped against the coarse ground.

A small light could be seen.

"Hey."

This time, is was a man.

"Sorry I haven't been here. I've been too busy moping around," he sighed. "I thought I was helping you. You were learning so fast, getting so strong. But I failed you. I'm so sorry."

Violet ran faster.

"I don't know if you can hear me, kid, but you got it in you to pull through. You just gotta keep fighting."

Violet's legs burned.

"Never give up."

She pushed on.

"You can do this."

The light grew.

"Hey, Vi."

This voice made Violet's heart thump. She couldn't pinpoint why, though.

"I'm so sorry," the voice choked up. "I'm sorry for being such a jerk. I never wanted to break up."

He paused.

"I meant it. When I said I love you, I meant it. I love you so much. When I saw you fall . . ."

There was a sniffling sound.

"I had nightmares about it, you know. I can't imagine never seeing you again. Never hearing you again."

Violet could tell that he was crying now.

"Please come back. Please, Vi."

Violet ran harder than she ever had.

She closed her eyes to shield herself from the increasingly blinding light.

And when she opened them, she was met with the white ceiling of a hospital room.