Chapter Nine

Callum's POV:

         I sighed as I walked out of the clinical wing of the den. Something was eating at Kat, that was easy enough to see. And, although I hated to admit it, it hurt that she still didn't trust me enough to tell me about her inner most thoughts and feelings.

         And what the hell had I been thinking, telling her I wanted her like that. As if she needed even more reasons to dislike me. The fact that I was a wolf seemed definitely more than enough to her.

          I gimaced as I touched me jaw. I always forgot about Skylar's brute strength. I'm honestly surprized he didn't kill Kat when he smashed his fist into her temple. But she seemed fine and that made me feel so much better about not being by her side.

         I walked toward the west wing of my den, which had holding rooms for new wolves. I had some questions for that new kid down there.

                                                                               ********                                                                                                    

Kat's POV:

         I grimaced as I laid back down. The pill hadn't had a chance to kick in and I could feel my head throbbing in time with my heart. Just the feeling of that made me nauseous.

"Knock knock," a deep voice said from the entrance of the clinical room. I turned over slowly to see the blond brute Skylar at the door. I let out a long sigh and just stared at him.

"What? Did you come back to finish the job and make me a complete vegetable?," I asked in a snarky voice. He smiled a little and shook his head.

"No, I just came by to apologize for hurting you. Jason isn't so happy with me and told me it'd make him and you feel better if I did so," he replied, his tone trying to be kind but falling flat. I sneered at him in return.

"Look, I am sorry. For a lot of stuff," he sighed.

         I glared at him. Slowly, I sat up and continued to glare. He thought a simple apology like that would make up for the last 5 shitty years I had? I thought my son was dead because of him.

"You can take your apology and shove it. A few words aren't going to fix what you did."

         His face, which had been carefully neutral, suddenly turned dark. I almost regretted my words. I wasn't in any condition to fight if I had to. But that didn't stop me from getting into a defensive pose.

"You should be thanking me. Because of me, your son is alive today. Since he's been here, he hasn't gone hungry, he's had a warm place to sleep, and he's been loved just as any other child here has been. Do you think if he'd stayed with you, you'd be able to say the same thing?," he paused and took a step away from the doorway, "Not all of us wolves are heartless. I saw a baby and I couldn't let him die just because two wolves decided to have a pissing match over territory."

         I looked down at my lap, feeling guilty. At the time I had thought all of these beasts were heartless creatures. I thought it was every wolf's idea to kill all the humans and take the planet for themselves. If blondie here was telling the truth, then that was far from the truth.

"Why my son? Why not save some other child?," I asked as I looked up at him. I knew he could see the genuine question in my eyes.

"I could tell he was special when I spotted you two running out of your house. He's gonna be something someday. Whether it's our new leader, or the greatest healer our species has ever known, I don't know. But he's just special."

         With that, he turned around and walked out of the door. I sat there for a while, pondering over everything that wolf had said. And then I smiled. I wasn't sure if everything he'd said was true, but he did have one thing right; my little boy was something special. That much I could agree with.

*******************

Hi

Sorry this is short and that I've been gone so long. But here is part nine

Enjoy :)

P.S I love Skylar ;P