Chapter Two

Anger encompassed the entirety of my being. I shook so bad, I was surprised my fingers held my bow string back. This piece of dog shit was responsible for half of my suffering over the last five years. Before me stood the man who'd taken my son.

"You bastard!," I screamed as I let my arrow go. He ducked right as it sailed towards him.

Infuriated, I dropped my bow into its sling and charged him with my hunting knife. I must've surprised him because he just stood there with a dumbfounded look on his face until I took my first swing at him. He dodged me at the last second and caught my left fist as I aimed it at his nose. I head butted him in the forehead and heard him groan as he fell back, releasing me in the process.

I came at him again, letting every ounce of anger in my body propel me forward. To my irritation he caught me once again, this time pulling me tight to his chest. Even with my movements restricted, I managed to kick his shins and get one of my hands into his blonde hair. I pulled as hard as I could and he growled loudly in my ear. The next thing I knew I was flat on my back, hands pinned at my sides, and a furious man-wolf sitting on top of me.

"Enough," he snarled through a muzzle that distorted the word.

I glared up at the beast defiantly, unwilling to break eye contact. I knew enough about wolves to know that right now, this male was playing a power game with me. And I'd be damned if I lost.

After a minute or so of of tense, unwavering eye contact, he realized I wasn't going to back down. He growled in my face and pulled me up on my feet, securing my hands behind my back as he did so.

"She's strong," a voice to the side said. My head whipped around to the sound and I saw two men standing there. They must've been the wolves with the jackass behind me.

"She'd make a great warrior," the other said. I glared at him and renewed my struggles. Unfortunately, the man behind me subdued my efforts quite easily.

"She would have had she not killed one of our own," the wolf behind me stated. "We'll have to see what the king has to say about that."

I remained silent as my bow and my quiver of arrows were removed from my person, but as soon as one of them reached for my blade, I kicked my legs out. I refused to be completely defenseless around these animals.

They fought with me for about five minutes before they gave up on retrieving my knife. As I was walked forward, the wolf holding my arms grabbed what he could of my short hair and wrenched my head back.

"If you try anything with that knife, I will maim you," he snarled into my ear. He then pushed me forward without releasing my arms and we marched forward.

***********************************************************************

We walked for hours. Houses turned to trees, pavement turned to thin game trails. We were so deep in the forest, that even if I managed to escape these brutes, I didn't think I would be able to find my way out.

We eventually came to a cave entrance. I stumbled as we were swallowed in darkness, but the male pushed me onward.

At some point, I saw rings of light and felt cool air rush over my face. I looked up and noticed holes in the ceiling of the cave, but dismay filled me as I also realized I would never be able to fit through them.

We came to a rather large hollowed out room that was filled fill wolves. I randomly noticed that there were a few hallways that branched out from this main room.

All activity came to a halt when the pack noticed me. Most were human and seemed to be doing mundane chores. Others were lazing about in their wolf forms.

The men around me bowed and I frowned down at their backs. What were they bowing for anyway?

"My king," the blonde man, who'd been restricting my arms for most of the journey, said and walked around me. At that moment, a dark brown furred wolf stepped forward. His eyes snapped to mine and my breath caught in my throat. Those eyes were so pale of a green, I almost thought he was blind. But the sharp focus he had on me proved otherwise.

The wolf's eyes shifted away from me for a moment but were back on me instantly. The blond next to me gave me a nudge. I looked up at him questioningly.

"He wants you to approach him," he told me.

I vehemently shook my head and said, "Fuck you."

His ears flattened down, but he made no move or sound. The silence grew tense as the wolf and I stared each other down. Then, the most beautiful sound filled my ears as the laughter of a little boy flowed down from one of the hallways. It was followed by a small body running straight into the wolf as he giggled out, "Uncle Callum!"

My legs gave out and I fell to my knees as a little face I hadn't seen in five years looked my way and smiled with recognition.

"Jason," I whispered.