Chapter Eight

Kat's POV:

I walked slowly, so tired I felt my bones creek with the effort to move. But still, I walked down the familiar street. I was back in my neighborhood I'd lived in before the wolves had taken over.

What was I doing here? Why wasn't I back in the cave den with Jason and Callum?

I came to a stop when I saw my old house once again. I sighed, wishing I had anywhere else to go other than here. It seemed that lately everything always came back to this place, no matter how much I tried to avoid it.

I walked up the broken concrete of the walkway, inspecting my old flower beds as I went. I didn't have much of a green thumb to begin with, and I looked on with a small amount of contempt at the budding flowers. Mother nature sure was a bitch sometimes.

I pushed the door open and walked over the threshold, looking at the disrupted rooms with sympathy. They looked frozen in time, although all my old belongings were beginning to decay and nature was taking back what rightfully belonged to it.

A noise at the back of the house had me turning, pulling my bow and an arrow up as I moved. Taking a quick glance around, I stealthily took a few steps forward towards the kitchen.

Everything suddenly seemed too quiet, and I didn't like it. I took baby steps the rest of the way into the kitchen. And I wished I would've left after it became apparent I wasn't alone.

Off to the side a gray wolf sat. He looked far too skinny, like he hadn't eaten. Or maybe he was a low guy on the hierarchy totem pole.

He stared at me intently and took a sure step toward me. I pulled the arrow on my bow string back in warning. He answered me with a silent snarl. He took another step and then another.

"Don't do it," I warned. He let loose a loud growl and lunged forward. As he sailed through the air, I let my arrow fly. It struck him right in the chest. He crashed into the ground with a yelp and I jumped over the kitchen island in between us. He was already shifting back as I approached him.

I flipped him onto his back and a startled gasp escaped my mouth. I scrambled to pull him into my lap.

"Jeff?," I cried. I wiped tears away as I looked into his blue eyes. He stared back, although the look in his eyes was anything but warm.

"How could you?," he gurgled, coughing up blood. I sniffled as I wiped some off of his cheek.

"I'm so sorry Jeff. Had I known I wouldn't have shot you," whimpered. I brushed my had through his curly hair, trying to offer some form of comfort.

"How could you let that man touch you? Kiss you? You made me a promise when you took this ring." He lifted a feeble hand towards my neck and grasped the ring hanging there.

I looked down at him, baffled. "I-I-"

"Don't you remember the saying, 'In sickness and in health, till death do us part'?," He murmurred.

"But Jeff, you've been-" he suddenly started to convulse in my arms, making choking sounds like he couldn't breathe. More blood spilled out of his mouth. And then his movements stopped.

"Jeff?," I whispered through new tears. I shook his body a little, hoping something I did would bring him back.

"Don't do ths to me again, Jeff! Please!," I yelled.

*******************************

"No!," I shouted as I sat up. I immediately regretted that decision as my head throbbed and I felt like I might fall on the ground if the room didn't stop spinning.