Chapter Five

As we walked down the tunnel to where my son's room was located, I felt myself fidget nervously. Would Jason truly remember me? What if he didn't?

I ran a hand trough my hair, and for the first time since I sheared the long strands off, I wished they were longer. Jason would probably remember me better with long hair.

Next to me, Callum coughed. I narrowed my eyes at him; that cough had sounded suspiciously like a laugh. He threw a smile my way when he noticed me watching him.

"What's so funny?," I asked heatedly as I tried to make the short, wild strands of my hair stay flat against my head. They popped right back up as soon as I removed my hand. This time, Callum did nothing to hide his laughter.

"You look fine, you know," he said around his mirth.

"Don't tease me," I grumbled, "My hair looks like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket, my clothes are already dirty, and I look haggard. Nothing about that screams 'fine'. Jason is probably going to run as fast as his little legs can carry him when he sees me."

My hands flopped down to my sides dejectedly. Just the thought of my son being afraid of me made me want to curl up and die.

I felt big hands cup my shoulders. I stiffened at the contact, but Callum only gripped me more firmly.

"He will remember you, Kat. He's been anxious to see you since Skylar brought you here a few hours ago," he said soothing.

At his words, I relaxed. It made me uncomfortable that he could comfort me so easily with just a few words. Only Jeff had been able to do that, but never so quickly. I ignored it, and gave him a nod. His answering smile nearly took my breath away.

"I know you don't know it, but your son's memory is just remarkable. When he learned to talk, he asked about you and for you everyday."

My eyes grew watery at that. It thrilled me to know that he remembered me, but did that mean...

"Does he remember that day?," I asked quietly.

Callum gave me a sad smile as he searched my eyes.

"He has nightmares about it," he answered softly. "But they've become less frequent."

I nodded again and looked down. I should've been there to soothe away his fears. I should've been there so he didn't have to ask about me, should've fought harder to keep him with me when the wolves took over.

A finger touched my chin and I looked up at Callum. He had a small disapproving frown on his face like he knew the direction my thoughts went.

"Don't beat yourself up about it. You're here now, and that's all that matters."

At that moment, I had the insane urged to wrap my arms around him. To lean on the support he seemed to offer me. I didn't understand it or why he would show me such compassion. But it scared me senseless.

I pulled away from the finger still at my chin, asking, "Are we close to Jason's room?"

He sighed, looking slightly disheartened.

"He's just down the hall," he said, turning forward and walking to a light blue curtain.

"Whenever you're ready, he's in here."

I nodded, slowly walking up to the curtain. I rubbed my hands on my jeans, trying to dispel some of the nervous energy coursing through my body. With a shaking hand, I pulled the curtain aside. And my heart cried out with a type of joy only a mother could feel.

There he was, playing with a beat up toy car. I couldn't get over how healthy he looked, and how much of Jeff I saw in his little face.

He looked up at me, his whole face lighting up. He abandoned his toy, launching himself in my direction. I met him halfway, scooping him up into my arms.

"I missed you, mama," his little voice said. I choked on a happy sob as I hugged him closer.

"I missed you, too, baby. So much," I cried.

I felt a hand land on the middle of my back and looked up to see Callum's eyes gazing at me, concern swirling in those green depths.

"Are you alright?," he asked, all of his attention focused on me. I gave him a watery smile, and his whole demeanor softened.

"I'm okay. More than okay, I promise."

I surprised us both when I leaned into him. I would never admit it out loud, but a part of me let out a sigh of contentment when his arms wrapped around my son and I in a warm hug. For the moment, I forgot about Jeff, all the hurt and misery I endured for the last five years, and about what Callum was. I just let myself enjoy holding my son, and what it felt like to be held again.

*******