Chapter Ten

Kat's POV:

       The next morning I found myself sulking about the clinical room I'd been placed in. I had already tried leaving to find my son, but Callum - who for some odd reason seemed to have a sort of strange Kat finding sense tucked into his wolfy brain - knew exactly the moment I stepped foot out of the room.

         So, here I sat. Looking at the same boring rock wall as I thought about my son. In the past few days, I don't think I really let it set in that he was actually alive and healthy. I covered my eyes as they began to water, relieved that what I'd been desperately hoping for, for the last five years had been true.

         But it was a bittersweet moment in my mind. Skylar, that damn dog, had a point. I would never have been able to provide the life for Jason that these wolves did. Here, he was well fed, warm, and taken care of. An image of Jason cold, skinny, and tired entered my mind. I sighed as sadness filled me. I didn't want to admit it, but my son had done much better here than he would've ever done with me. And even if I did manage to leave here with him, I didn't think he'd last long out there. I'd had time to adjust and learn how to survive out there. My son never had to.

         I shook myself, trying to get out of my depressed thoughts, and looked at the entrance of the room. There were no wolves standing watch. And Callum didn't seem to be anywhere in sight. Maybe if I made my escape from the clinic quickly, he wouldn't even know that I was gone.

         Quietly, I slid out of bed. Walking toward what I considered to be the doorway of the clinic wing, I took a quick peek in either direction. Both sides of the hallway were clear, to my relief. I took a small step into the hallway. I suddenly felt a tiny rush of triumph. But that was quickly squashed when I realized I didn't have any clue of where to go.

         I decided to go to the left. I tried to think of the way we'd gone when Callum had taken me above ground to clean up. I felt like some fresh air and real sunlight would do me good. The vents that let the light in just didn't do it for me, and it had to have been at least a week since I'd felt a breeze on my skin.

         So, I wandered down the stoned hallway. I looked up occasionally to see if I could fit through any of the vents. It didn't look like any of them were going to work. I found myself growing agitated and paranoid. I couldn't stop looking over my shoulder, fearing that Callum would come barreling down the hallway. I started walking a little quicker, feeling as though the walls were closing in. My breath came in shorter gasps and it became harder to breathe in. I took a random turn and broke out into a run. I stop paying attention to where I was going or what tunnel I turned down as I fought for breath. A detached part of my brain told me this is what claustrophobia felt like.

         I just so happened to look up as I raced down the passage and skidded to a halt. Almost directly above me was a small opening just barely big enough for me to fit through. It looked like it would still be a tight squeeze, but I didn't care about that as I jumped up to grab onto the side of the hole. I managed to pull myself up, almost getting stuck at my shoulders. But I got through up until I hit my hips. I thought I could wiggle my way out, and that worked. Up until I got my butt halfway through. I didn't think I could shimmy my way out anymore than that. That also meant, as I figured out, that I couldn't wriggle my way back down either.

"Oh, crap," I muttered to myself. Well, hopefully this couldn't get any worse. At least, that's what I was thinking when I saw a small pack of wolves roaming this area. I silently cursed to myself as I futilely attempted to wiggle my way out again. And then, mid-wiggle, I stopped as I felt hot shallow breaths on the back of my neck. The hairs on my skin stood up at attention. My hand gripped hopelessly for the knife I'd been stripped of. I slowly looked over my shoulder and felt the blood drain form my face. Bright, pale green eyes stared back at me.