Chapter Five

When Steve and Kris arrive at the supreme court building, commonly known to the locals as 'the palace' in downtown Honolulu fifteen minutes later, the governor is already waiting for them at the front doors. The building is beyond elegant; it was once a palace for the royals on the island but has since been transitioned into a government building, meaning that it still has its natural beauty despite its renovations and transition into a workplace.
On the way to the palace, Steve and Kris silently wondered why the governor wanted to meet them there- her own office is down the street, so meeting anywhere else seems a bit odd.

The governor waits outside the front doors of the palace for them, now dressed in a beige pantsuit, with a brown leather briefcase in hand. When Steve and Kris approach her, she fixes her posture and walks towards them with her hand outstretched to shake.
"Commanders. I'm glad you two changed your mind. If you'll follow me, please." Governor Jameson says, shaking hands with Steve and Kris again, and then directs them to the front doors of the building.
The Governor bypasses security and tells the guards to let Steve and Kris do it as well, and then she makes her way up the grand staircase. Once they get up to the second floor, they walk across to the back half of the building, and to a large set of glass doors. She pushes them open and walks in, revealing a massive room with five separate offices and lots of open space- it's a perfect place for headquarters. There are already techs working around the room hooking up computers and whatnot, and bringing in furniture, which surprises Steve and Kris a little bit. Apparently, Governor Jameson did not buy their angry act and knew that they were bluffing at Pearl Harbour yesterday and had been waiting for them to 'reconsider' and take the job running her taskforce.

"welcome to your new base of operations." She smiles, and then points to two offices at the far end of the room.
"those two offices are yours. Inside are new laptops, both equipped with HPD databases and almost every resource you could imagine. I have been preparing for this taskforce for a while now, I was just waiting for perfect candidates. Now that I have you two on board, all you need is to recruit more people; the rest is already done." Governor Jameson explains, which stuns Steve and Kris a little bit; it seems that everything had happened at the right time for them.
With all of these resources and practically unlimited time, catching Hesse should be a smooth operation.

But, before they can open their mouths, the governor snaps her fingers in thought and begins to speak again. "Oh! Before I forget, Commander, please raise your right hand." She says to Kris, who immediately does so. "Repeat after me. I, Kristine D. McGarrett, do solemnly declare upon my honor and conscience," She begins, then pauses to allow Kris to repeat after her. "to act at all times to the best of my abilities and knowledge in a manner befitting an officer of the law." She finishes. Kris repeats after her, and then lowers her hand.
Governor Jameson congratulates Steve and Kris on being the heads of her taskforce, which makes them both want to smile, but they keep it internalized and nod at the governor, thanking her for giving them this opportunity, and then shake her hand yet again.

Steve then quickly excuses himself to go to HPD and talk to Sgt. Duke Lukela again- he wants to look into Detective Williams and his progress on their father's case, leaving Kris and Governor Jameson to deal with all the technicalities they need to face to transfer Steve and Kris over to the reserves.
Thankfully, Governor Jameson has some pull with the Naval base on the island and has already spoken to the General to get them transferred to the reserves, which relieves a lot of stress from Kris' mind almost instantly. The U.S. Navy can be a real bitch to work with sometimes, and she's sure as hell glad that she doesn't have to fight with them about transferring right now. Governor Jameson also tells Kris and Steve that their father's house will be ready for them in the morning, as the crime scene cleaners are there now, making sure that it is presentable.
Then, the Governor is leaving just as fast as she came into the office, but before she leaves, she gives Kris hers and Steve's security clearance badges for the building, a few sets of keys, and a large stack of folders and papers, which contains everything Steve and Kris need to officially run the taskforce, according to the governor. Kris thanks her once again, and heads into her own office to get things set up.

Steve and Kris ended up staying at the palace for a few hours making sure that everything was in working order. The IT guys came in and gave them each a laptop as well as three extras for future team members, which was something that excited Kris. Building a new team was always something that excited her; she loved working with other people and bouncing ideas off of them, quite unlike her brother, who is a very stubborn and proud man and did not work well with others (except for his sister). Kris was definitely looking forward to getting to meet the island's best investigators and to team up with them to take down Hesse once and for all.

And so, the work begins.