Chapter Two

The three walk in silence for a few moments. Governor Jameson is trying to think of a good way to start the conversation, and Steve is worried about his hat flying away too, so he takes it off his head and tucks it under his arm, mimicking his sister's previous actions.

"I just wanted to start off again, by saying how sorry I am for your loss, Commanders. Your father was a great man, and I had the pleasure to know him personally. He death shocked us all; he loved this island so much and did such a great job protecting it." Governor Jameson begins, which makes Steve and Kris' heart rates pick up, like it does every time someone mentions their father's murder. Every time, they can hear the gunshot that killed him, and it sends a shiver down their spines. It makes Kris feel nauseous when she thinks about it.

Steve clears his throat. "Thank you, Ma'am. But with all due respect, why are we here? Is this about the investigation into Hesse's whereabouts?" he asks with a hint of annoyance to his voice. Steve was never really one to deal with politicians- he never has had the patience for them and their constant lies. Kris is the one who has an unlimited amount of patience, and has no problem dealing with politicians and higher-ups, so maybe, he thinks, he should let her deal with the governor.

"Ma'am, we are forbidden to investigate this, I'm sure you understand why." Kris cuts in before the Governor can reply to Steve. The governor cannot know that they are planning to catch Hesse. Hell, nobody can know, because Steve and Kris don't want to take anyone else down with them when they inevitably get court martialed.

The governor nods. "I know. HPD is working non-stop to try and track down Hesse." She tells the twins, hoping not to get them riled up.

Steve lets out a short puff of air. "No offence, Ma'am, but you aren't going to catch Hesse with traffic stops and roadblocks. He is a terrorist wanted all over the world, it's going to be nearly impossible to catch him." Steve states, and stops in place. Kris does too. The governor notices and stops in front of them.

"I know, and that's why I asked to meet with you two here today. Your father's murder was a wake-up call to me and every law enforcement agency in Hawaii, which is why I'm putting together a special investigations taskforce... and I want you two to run it." Governor Jameson explains, which reels Steve and Kris back a little bit.

Why the hell would she want them, out of all the people on the island, to run the taskforce? Doesn't she know that they aren't cops? They don't really abide by civilian rules in the navy, so it would most likely be a mess the moment it started, Steve immediately thinks, scoffing quietly. "You don't even know us." He replies to the Governor.

She crosses her arms and tucks her hair behind her ears. "I know your resumes. Kristine McGarrett; the first female Navy SEAL, a double major in political sciences and operations research with minors in Japanese and Arabic. NCAA all-star for volleyball and Track at the Academy, sharing top of the class with her brother, Steven McGarrett, who double majored in military history and operations research with minors in Japanese and Arabic as well, and was an NCAA all-star in football and track. Five years naval intelligence, six years with the SEALs... your superiors say that you two are the best unit they have ever seen." The governor justifies, which makes Kris chuckle a little bit. At least the governor came to their meeting prepared.

"That is correct, Ma'am. But we cannot risk everything to track down one man. If you'll excuse us, we have to make arrangements for our father's funeral now. Please excuse us." Kris bluffs, then her and Steve put their caps back on and prepare to get as far away from the Governor as possible before she finds out their ulterior motive to coming back home. They manage to get a few steps away before the governor calls out after them.

"I can help you find this son of a bitch! With full immunity and means. And, you won't face any disciplinary action from your superiors. Your taskforce will have blanket authority to go after guy like Hesse and get them the hell off of my island." Governor Jameson offers, which makes the twins stop in their tracks. Steve and Kris look at each other briefly, and then turn to the Governor to hear her out once again. She walks towards them and stops a few feet in front of them before she speaks again. "Your rules, my backing, no red tape. And I promise both of you, what you see with me is what you get." The governor offers.