X.

The chauffeur had returned an hour later with the container of gas. We were still driving when the sun had dipped past the trees. Thomas had moved to the front seat and didn't talk to me for the rest of the ride. I didn't care, he would've been annoying anyway. I was becoming restless; my legs were aching, and I was starving.

"Only another mile, sir," announced the chauffeur.

"Thank you," I answered. "Will you be staying the night?"

"I'll have to, sir—"

"He's Lord now," Jack said austerely.

The driver nodded, correcting himself by saying, "Forgive me, Lord," then turned back to me and smiled. "The drive back will be far too long. Do you think they'd mind?"

"I'm not sure," I said. "They must have a spare room to lend."

The rest of the drive felt like an eternity, but we soon passed an opening of trees and a black gate. My heart was racing, we were nearly there. Sure, I had been to meetings and had been in stressful situations, but this was different.

As we went down the drive, lines of hydrangea bushes followed beside us. The lawn was bright even in the darkness of the late afternoon. Then that was when I noticed their estate. It was large and glorious with arching windows and tall columns with a second balcony that protruded out over the front doors. The building was yellow, and the front entryway was made of dark stained wood, white stone cut flowers were placed in the folds. Four thin towers were on either side of the building with grey roofs.

We parked by the open doorway, several of the servants ran to their places, then the estates family came into view. My heart was then in my throat and I guess Thomas must have known because he turned to me and said, "They're just as anxious as you are," before stepping out and opening my door as the chauffeur started unpacking my luggage.

I slipped from my seat and readjusted my suit. For some reason, I kept my eyes locked on my shoes. Maybe I was afraid that my betrothed looked like my cousin, hideous curls and thick skin with thin tight lips. Thomas nudged me and I looked up. I abandoned my cool composure as the anxiousness doubled inside my chest, I was starting to panic.

But then I saw my betrothed. She was haloed in a mass of golden hair, fair skin so soft, expressing warmth as if it were made of plums on a summer day, and glossy rosy cheeks. She wore a blue dress with majestic silver designs etched near her collar that gleamed through the setting darkness. The girl was more than extraordinary.

I took an uneven step towards the father and raised my arm for a handshake.

"Good evening, Lord," I said.

The man was no older than my own father but looked nothing alike. This man was lean and had a greying mustache. He smiled to me with great big green eyes. "Hello, Lord Turner!" he said to me taking my hand into a firm handshake leaving the other closely pressed to his leg. I noticed that it was wrapped with cloth. "We finally get to meet!"

"Yes, yes, we do," I said, and not a second after, the mother pushed her way to me.

She looked overly enthusiastic, her smile she bore looked stretched and uneven. I went to shake hands, but she pushed it aside and draped her arms over my shoulders. I hadn't met this woman in all my life and for some reason she thought it was appropriate to hug me. I should've been appalled by it then, but I was too lightheaded to care. Overall, she disturbed me.

"Manson, my dear boy!" She pulled away with her face flushed pink like a schoolgirl's when kissed on the cheek. "I'm so sorry for what you've gone through. I hope you will enjoy staying with us. Once we heard the news, I immediately told Richard that we'd be happy to have you stay! We've all been waiting to see you for so long. Besides, this gets move on the wedding."