Act 3

The house was muggy, draped with allusions and riddled with ice. Mirrors on the walls scarcely reflected that of what was standing before it. But there I was, before my deformed figure, dressed in the clothing that Clara chose. She had sat me down to give my face a clean shave and do up my hair. Jazlyn glowered at me as I was prepped.

Although the house was soundless, a ringing of what sounded like thousands of crickets chirping lapped over my ears. I was incredibly still, I hardly breathed. Clara had left me to finish up myself. I couldn't believe that she allowed me to stand in my room utterly alone as it was just hours before we would begin the whole event. Stunned, I didn't know what to do first. Several foolish thoughts came to mind like jumping from my balcony or just taking my life early before they could do whatever they had in mind.

I found myself brushing my fingertip over the wardrobe. Pushing my clothing aside I studied my stolen tools. The solid metal burnt my palms as I took the wrench. Taking the few items, I stuffed them in my waist and inside my vest. A calming gradually washed over me. My will was at peace with what was to come. I believe, that at the moment, I was ready to work, to work harder than I ever had before and strangely it felt virtuous. Reaching deeper into the closet, I grasped the cigarette box, lighter, and the bottle of cocaine. I put them in my pockets as well.

Clara said that the family would be waiting for me in the dining room. Perhaps they wanted me to wallow in my demise before submitting to them. I took this extra time to do some spoiling.

I took out the pack of cigarettes and lighter. After each room I passed, I lit a cigarette and tossed it beside some papers or on top the bed. The flames took a few lagged moments to begin eating away their surroundings. But it wasn't long until it grew. Then, before igniting the box whole, I saved one between my lips and took a last draw. Tossing the box into the thin curtains in the library I stuffed the lighter into my pocket and watched the flames start to lick the bookcases.

The doors of the dining room stood open, and my crooked frame was bent hideously inside it. Sitting around the table was the family, each baring a rare smile. The image of their lips twisting, the creases under their cheeks curling in swirls repulsively. I crossed the room and sat uneasily in my assigned seat in front of Clara. Through the silence came a little yawn. Jazlyn was slumped, her eyes were only slits, and all around her hair line were patches of fresh bruises. I looked away.

"Finally!"

I jumped in my seat from the sudden exclaim.

"Come, come!" shrilled Clara, waving at the servant to bring the steaming meal to her side. The rotten stench rippled over the red tablecloth. I resisted stuffing my napkin to my nose. I was sitting erect, tense, and broke out into a sweat. I was afraid that my adrenaline would come in an outburst and ruin my plan. Moving forwards too early with my escape might cause my death. I calculated everything before making a move.

In unison, the family was grabbing for their silverware. As each member served themselves from the footman's tray they began to eat jubilantly. Richard's face seemed so much thicker than before. His eyes now beady from swollen lids and pink cheeks. As he stuffed his mouth with dripping meat, flakes of skin caught on his mustache. To eat all of his serving, he stuck out his tongue eagerly and licked it off.

Elias sawed at his portion and glanced at me. "You're not having any?"

"No."

"That's ill-mannered, I thought you'd be bit more cheerful with this wonderful party. Is it not up to your standards?"

I said nothing. Beside me Gwendolen dragged her long nails against my thigh. She smiled her lips thinning as the corners pointed. Itwas ironic that she was draped in white. Good thing it was bad luck seeing thebride before the ceremony.