XI.

The morning air swirled throughout my room bringing the scent of fresh dirt. The sky had a strange red hue bursting through the clouds. I suddenly remembered that last night there was a full moon while reaching the window. Maybe that was why the sky changed red. Across the gardens and fountains, I saw Elias. He was leaning against the tree facing my window with his hands in his pockets. I took a step back as our eyes met. Elias sneered and started strolling back to the house.

I had been rudely awakened by Thomas who intended on me getting to breakfast on time rather than late like I would normally do.

I cleared my throat and turned to Thomas. "You'll be eating with us?"

Thomas furrowed his brows. "I thought I couldn't be a first-class citizen. Were you wrong?"

"No, I was only wondering."

Thomas stood by my door. "I'll be dining downstairs with the servants, where I should be." He smiled then left.

I paced my floor for a few moments more before swiftly leaving. The house seemed more welcoming lit with the early sunlight. I stopped at the end of the stairs right as Richard entered through another door.

"Good morning!" called Richard. "If you would follow me, I'll show you to breakfast."

I was rapidly hauled to his side and dragged through the rooms. "Perhaps today I can familiarize myself with the house."

"Yes, indeed!" said Richard as we stepped into the breakfast room.

It was a circular room with gleaming wood lining the walls. An oval table and chairs that were cushioned in white sat in the middle. Near the tall window was the table with the meal.

Richard took a plate and served himself before taking his seat. "So, Manson, do you like horses? I've got a couple in the stables, they're well riders, the best bred. My son rides them quite often."

I took a spoonful of strawberries before the toast and egg. As I took my seat I said, "I prefer horses from a distance, Lord."

"You dislike animals?" he asked, taking a sip of tea then setting it down to look at the morning papers. "Had a bad experience with horses?"

I grimaced. "I was never fond of them."

Glancing at Richard I again noticed the bandaged hand. "If you don't mind, what happened to your hand?" I asked.

Richard's eyes flicked to his hand then to me quickly bringing up a smile. "I was saddling a horse and instead of it standing still he ran. It got wrapped in the reigns and was strained."

Mr. Josey turned away and flipped through the pages before grunting. He turned to me, pushing the paper to my plate. I took the newspaper and saw the headline and pictures of my estate. The article was about my parent's murders and how the press speculated that I had killed them for the power. I set down my fork and stared at the white linin tablecloth.

The doors opened again and the youngest, Jazlyn, entered followed by Gwendolen. A soft breeze trailed behind their dresses. A storm was setting between them. Jazlyn clasped her hands together and concentrated.

"Good morning, Mr. Turner."

I promptly noticed that one of her hands was swollen, as well as her left ear, but before I could say anything, she started leaving.

"Hello," I said. My eyes trailed back to Gwen.

"After breakfast, you and Turner can explore the house," proposed Richard. "There's many things to explore! I'm particularly fond of the fourth floor, I specifically designed it myself."