To Hell and Back

Twenty minutes later, I'm sitting in the back of a van, cuffed and blindfolded. I really need to stop making a habit out of this. At least this time, I can relax. My hands are cuffed in front of me so I can lean back against the seat.

I close my eyes and take as deep a breath as I'm able to, given my injuries. I rest back against the seat, and just try to let my muscles relax. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I'm terrified.

"I don't understand how you can be so casual about this," Hattie says. She's next to me. I'm fairly certain that no one else can hear her.

For a moment, I don't answer her, because I wish she would just shut up. I guess it's nice to know that the fact that I'm terrified isn't showing. "If you don't want my help, I will tell whoever comes to get us out of here to leave me, and I'll stay here with Margarita." I say, turning my head in her general direction.

"I didn't say I didn't want your help," she snaps. "I just don't understand how you can be so calm about this if all of the stories I've heard about you aren't true. I don't believe you're just a mechanic."

I suck in a breath, "I don't care what you believe about me, Hat. But do you honestly think the lies Eteon spread about Deckard are even remotely true? Really, in your heart, is that the kind of man you really think your brother is?"

She doesn't answer me in time. The doors to the van are yanked open, and we're pulled out. I stumble, and end up on the ground. Someone has to pull me to my feet and march me over in the direction of the menacing voices.

"How did you come by these two?" The man from before is standing in front of me, as the blindfold is removed.

"This one came to me, wanting a favor," Margarita replies, nodding at me. "You pay better, Brixton," she says.

Brixton. Evil has a name now. He chuckles and looks down at Hattie and I. "The boss is going to be happy to see you again, Mrs. Shaw. And you," I says turning, to Hattie, "You stole something that belongs to us. We want it back."

Hattie and I are separated, and taken to separate SUVs. Brixton is riding in the one with Hattie. I hear him give the men riding in mine the order to not underestimate me by any means. "Don't take your eyes off that one. She's more dangerous than she looks." The grin on his face is sickening.

I'm shackled into the backseat. I keep my mouth shut, trying not to draw attention to the fact that I am still in pain. We drive for what feels like an hour, before we stop at what looks like a nuclear power plant. "I'm getting some serious Chernobyl vibes," I say as I'm ushered out of the car. That earns me a crack to the head with the butt of a gun. "Too soon?" I mumble.

"Let's go," Brixton snaps, and I'm pushed forward.

I catch a glimpse of Hattie's hair as she's pushed into the building. If I had to describe it, it seems more like a garage with a lot of different stations or pods set up within it. Hattie is ushered into one of the pods. As I'm pushed past her pod, I can see them strapping her down to a table. I am taken several pods down the line, to what looks like a full blown surgery suite, but they don't take me inside.

Brixton comes to stand in front of me. "The boss wants to see you."

"Am I actually going to see someone, or is it like last time? Vague outline with a voice changer?" I ask. "I'm just curious."

He glares down at me, but at the same time, he can't help himself, and he lets out a laugh. "I like you. I understand why Deckard is so taken with you." Brixton crosses his arms over his chest, "Did Deckard ever tell you about me?"

I try to quickly think if I've ever heard the name Brixton before, and I'm coming up blank. I shake my head, "I'm sorry, I don't think so."

He nods, but he's not upset with me. "Deckard killed me. We were friends, and he put a bullet in my brain."