A Conversation Long Overdue

I find the source of the voice. It's an older gentleman in a suit. He seems to be waiting for a response to his question. "It's Mrs. Shaw. It's a fairly recent development, so I'll answer to either," I reply sweetly, flashing my wedding ring. "What am I supposed to call you," I ask the Suit.

"Oh, I'm Nobody. Mr. Nobody," he replies. "Now, Mrs. Shaw," he begins.

"You can just call me Sophia," I interject.

Mr. Nobody smiles, and starts again, "Sophia, I brought you here to be a part of this team because you're one of the best mechanics in this hemisphere. It has nothing to do with your husband. I don't give a damn about your husband. What happens after we get what I'm after is between you and your brother."

I purse my lips, and nod. "I can't work in cuffs," I say, holding my hands up.

"Alright, uncuff her." Mr. Nobody nods and gestures to one of his men to unlock my cuffs.

"Are you going to tell me what we're doing? Or do I just have to guess and jeopardize my reputation by sending out cars that aren't equipped for what they're being used for?" I ask as my cuffs are being unlocked. That's the one thing I ask of my clients: total honesty about what the car is going to be used for. I have a non-disclosure clause in all my contracts that bars me from discussing my client or the cars I've built for them.

Dom interjects before Mr. Nobody can answer. "You and I need to talk before we get to that." He leads me to a room off of the garage, and closes the door behind us.

It's a break room. There's a counter with a microwave on it, and a table with four chairs around it. The fridge in the corner of the room is emitting a low humming sound. I walk over to the counter and hop up on it. I'm not sure what to say to break the silence, so I wait to see if he'll do it.

Dom's back is to me, but I can see that he's rubbing his face. He turns to face me, "You look good, Sophia." Not exactly what I'm expecting.

"You too, Dom," I reply quietly. "You know, I didn't you and I would ever be in the same room and not be screaming at each other," I admit.

He lets out a sigh, "I'm tryin', Soph." He takes one of the chairs and pulls it out. He sits on it backwards so that he's facing me. "Where the hell did you meet this guy?"

"His brother introduced us a couple years back," I say, resting my head back against the cabinets behind me. "I met Owen when he came into my shop asking for a custom build," I explain in anticipation of his next question.

Dom nods, staying silent.

"You know, I was on my honeymoon when Mia called me, asking me to come to London to keep an eye on Letty," I say, leaning forward.

"Why didn't you do it?" Dom asks. "I know you hate me, but I don't think you have a problem with Letty or Mia. I know you went to Letty's funeral. I saw you there."

I sigh, biting my lip. "Letty's a big girl. She can handle herself, even if she doesn't remember us."

"That's a bullshit excuse and you know it." He jabs his finger at me. I can see the vein on the side of his head starting to bulge out a bit. I've hit a nerve.

"Me being there wouldn't have done anyone any good!" I snap. "Owen might have let me stick around to keep an eye on her, but she didn't know me. Hell, she still doesn't know who I am! She wouldn't have trusted me , and no one on Owen's team would have trusted me or my work. It would have been pointless. I made the call to stay out of it, and I'd make the same call if I had to it again!" I jump down off the counter, to make a move for the door.

Dom gets up so fast he knocks the chair over. His fist slams against the door, less than an inch from my head. "Do you know what call I'd make all over again?" I know where this is going, and I'm not backing away from it. Not again. "I'd send you away all over again if I had to!" He put his body in between me and the door. "Sit. Down. Now." He points to the table.