Separated Again

A loud bang sounds close to me and it jars me back to reality. I run to the car and get in. I start the car and peel out of the warehouse...

I'm not on the road for long before a black SUV rams me from behind. I spin out, and the vehicle flips, landing on its top. I'm lucky I have a seat belt on, but seat belt doesn't save me from a face full of glass and an airbag in the face.

I try to suck in a breath, but I can't get any air. I try again with similar results. It takes a few more tries before I can start to breathe properly again.

I hear movement coming toward the car. I struggle against the belt to try and get away, to no avail. It's jammed and I can't get free. "Sophia?" It's Brian.

"Fuck off!" I scream.

"Are you armed?"

"Fuck you!"

His feet appear next to my window. "Look, I want to help you, Sophia. I can't do that if you won't work with me."

"Maybe I-I don't want your h-help!" I'm getting dizzy. My face feels wet, and I put my hand up to my cheek. I pull it away, and find it covered in blood. I don't know where it's coming from, but there's a lot.

Brian's saying something, but I only hear vague mumbling. And then I hear nothing. I see nothing.

I wake up in a medical facility. It's bright white. "I'm really tired of this," I mumble. I try to sit up, but I'm cuffed to the bed, so it's difficult. "The fuck?"

"You're awake."

My attention snaps toward the door.

It's one of Nobody's men. "He wanted to know when you woke up. He wants a word."

"Any word in particular?" I ask.

"Just be quiet. He'll come in when he's ready," the soldier tells me before stepping outside the room again.

Nobody takes his sweet time. He doesn't show up for another three days. I've been lying in this bed for three days for no reason. "Nice of you to grace me with your presence," I say as he walks into the room. I flash a fake smile.

He sits down next to the bed, "You're in a delicate place right now. I suggest you listen to what I have to offer you."

He's not wrong. "I'm listening."

"Do you know where your husband is, Mrs. Shaw?" he asks.

I shake my head, "No. He didn't tell me where he was going. I don't think you'd need my help; you have the God's Eye."

Nobody nods, "You would be correct."

"So, am I allowed to ask what you plan to do with me, now that I'm of no use?"

"Who said you were of no use?" Nobody asks.

"I don't know where my husband is, or where he's going. What further use could I be to you?" I reply.

"That doesn't mean you can't be useful." He smiles. It's a bit unsettling. "I'm going to give you a choice.You can go back to your shop and do some work for me when I send it in, or you can go to an unlisted black site in the middle of nowhere. There, you will live out your days in total solitude, and you'll never touch another engine in your life." The smile is killing me. "The choice is yours."

"I'll take the first option," I sigh. It gives me the most freedom. It gives me more moves later on when I will need them.

"Good!" Nobody is happy with my choice. "You'll be on the next flight out to New York!" He gets up to walk out, but I stop him.

"Can I not be in chains for this flight? You know I'm not going anywhere. You're boys are packing some pretty big ammunition. You can trust that I'm not going to try to run," I say, tugging on the handcuffs, tethering me to the bed.

"As long as you behave."

"Of course."