eleven.

11. | RECONCILIATION.

 | RECONCILIATION

LYDIA WASN'T SURE HOW LONG SHE'D BEEN WALKING AFTER SHE LEFT EFFIE'S PLACE. She just knew that by the time she got home, it was dark and her legs ached. She hadn't purposely meant to check out of reality as she walked around - nor was it the safest decision to make - but there was so much on her mind that she just needed to forget about. 

Nobody bothered her, though, or so much as looked in her direction. She was just another tired face in the smack-dead middle of New York City. She didn't stand out much. She felt like any other person in that day: worn down from stress and mentally aged from every problem that life was throwing at her.

She'd wallowed in her own feelings for so long that by the time she made it to her doorstep, she was numb to the sight of Effie Daye standing, clutching her coinpurse as tight as she could. Not from fear, but from nerves - it was her one move that Lydia could always point out when the girl was nervous. Even though she'd subconsciously went to receive comfort from Effie, another part of her was worried about what she might be there for.

The socialite hadn't noticed her friend until the girl's shoes scraped against the concrete a few steps away, looking up expectantly at the girl across from her. Effie fidgeted with the bag in her hands, "Can we talk?"

Lydia gave her a weary nod of the head, "Yeah. We can head up-"

"We can talk out here. I'll make it quick, I promise," the socialite readjusted her posture so that she was standing straighter. Trying to look more confident than she felt, if Lydia knew any better. "I'm tired of hiding myself from the world and I'm sorry, Lydia." 

"You don't have to apologize; I was in the wrong." her tone was genuine and Effie knew it, but the older of the two still shook her head.

"You weren't. I have lost myself playing pretend out there. I want the money and I want the luxury, but I don't want that life. I don't want to be treated like some trophy wife or exotic animal people think they can touch. So, Will and I spoke about it and we're calling off the engagement."

Lydia couldn't help the frown that formed on her face. In fact, her entire face contorted in confusion as she looked down at her best friend's hand, noticing that the large rock was indeed no longer there. Will hadn't mentioned that and she was just there. 

Regardless, energy returned to Lydia's body as she processed the other young woman's words, "Effie, I know you love him. Don't throw that away because me and Ken don't like him." 

"He told me he wasn't ready anyway," Effie sighed and rolled her eyes quickly afterwards. "He's been sleeping around for the past couple of months with some uppity white woman from his social circle. He apologized and swore to do better but I don't want that. I want the love my mama and daddy had when they were younger and still have and that's not it. I just wish I'd listened to y'all sooner." 

Despite how sure of herself she seemed, Lydia couldn't miss Effie's watery irises that shined even in the dark night. Immediately, she walked forward and engulfed her friend in a tight hug, whispering quiet apologies to the young woman. She knew that Effie had difficulties being vulnerable - let alone in the middle of the street at night - so she had no problem taking time to console the girl. 

As much Hell as Lydia gave her, she couldn't imagine her entire worldview being uprooted. She was firm in her stances on life: that men were the root of most evils, that generational differences would never change, and plenty of others. One thing remained true for most, however, and that was that they never relied on another person. Effie had truly loved Will, despite him being a means to a better end for her and her future children. To know that he had been unfaithful, for one, and overall not the person that she had met was unimaginable.

It made Lydia even more resentful of love. 

"Do you need a place to sleep tonight?" it was the first words that either party had spoken in minutes.

Effie's gentle movement of her head against Lydia's shoulder was all the confirmation that the latter needed. 

—————

The next morning was a much better for both of the young women. Effie had been up making breakfast - if you could call it - with what little ingredients were left in the fridge as Lydia got up for the day. Well, the stench of smoke was what made the apartment's resident jump up in alarm, finding her best friend standing over a sad, burnt mess of what was supposed to be scrambled eggs. 

They'd laughed about the mishap and went on with their morning, the former socialite tailing at the waitress' heels like a small child as they walked into King's Diner. Ken stood behind the counter as usual, counting the little bit of cash that was kept in the front under the counter with a small smirk as he took in the two women in front of him, "I see y'all finally made up." 

"Yeah, now I'm just waitin' on you, Ken." Lydia let a smile grace her face as she crossed her arms, watching the man shake his head. 

"I wadn't ever mad, I just don't get involved with y'all two." 

"And that's why I can't stand you."

Ken let out a booming, warm laugh just as Lydia did, with the young woman making her way behind the counter to place her belongings in the back, leaving the other parts of their trio alone. She made a point to stay back there as long as possible, listening to their interactions thanks to the tiny window, yet still out of view.

"I was wondering if you had any job openings? Or some sort of work I could do until I get into a department store." Always such a priss, that Effie. This was Ken she was talking to, not no Wall Street sucker. 

"What, Mister Millionaire ain't paying for everything no more?" Lydia could hear the smile in his voice and easily pictured the sour expression that would appear on Effie's face. Her change in posture as she pushed off the negative thoughts, too. 

"We are no longer together, so, no.

Ken immediately apologized, but Lydia knew her best friend well enough to know that she'd keep her callous attitude. As least until she left, anyway, because she never argued with Ken. Neither of the girls did, really, because he was never one to hold a grudge or even an attitude. He truly was their peacemaker, contrary to the other men that he hung around. 

"I'll ask my ma and pop right when they come in.

Lydia finally emerged from the kitchen, smoothing her apron over her legs to make it look like she hadn't been ear-hustling. Effie was sitting at the counter with a newspaper in her hands, eyes trained on the job section, more than likely, as Ken nervously finished up with the drawer and made to keep himself busy with something else other than staring at the newly single long-time crush of his.

Lord, give me strength, Lydia thought. 

—————

we're finally done with part one y'all.... onto the next hehe