extended summary.

ALTERLIFE

You are who you are.
All of the pain and pleasure is you.
Although life is hard, deep in the center, unshaken is you.

RINA SAYAWAMA

LIFE HAD ALWAYS HELD CHALLENGES FOR DOROTHEA WILSON. Born to a Jewish father and a black mother in southern Texas, it seemed that it her destiny to have problems no matter where she turned. Her life wasn't always the best, but she didn't have the luxury to complain about things like having to stay at home and learn while other kids went to school houses. Everything that was done was instituted for her safety - that was a fact that Anthony and Lena Wilson had emphasized to her for as long as she could remember.

But as the government tightened its hold on the leash that it held black individuals by, the family was forced to move farther up north. New York was far from perfect and it still had segregation policies just as any state, but it was one of the few states that didn't have miscegenation laws into place. Anthony and Lena Wilson no longer had to hide their marriage, nor their only child who deserved a childhood in the first place.

The family settled into the primarily black neighborhood of Harlem - the center of a cultural explosion that gripped the growing girl in more ways than one. As she learned to integrate with other people of her background and learn more about her culture, she was learning more about herself with each day. The shy and timid girl from San Antonio had turned into a social butterfly who was far from meek and now going by the name of Lydia. Dorothea had been a name handed down to her from a grandmother that she did not know, and while it had sentimental meaning, she was her own person and quickly made that clear to all that met her.

Through her adolescent years, that mentality proved useful. Although she'd lost a mother, she gained a found family and friends that admired her boldness and supported her in the goals that she tried to meet. Her aspirations were big, of course, but she'd learned to not set herself up to be disappointed and kept her big dreams close to her heart.

After the announcement of the war, however, she throws all caution to the wind because it's her chance to be apart of something bigger than herself and she won't waste it.

CAST

JURNEE SMOLLET
AS DOROTHEA "LYDIA" WILSON

JURNEE SMOLLETAS DOROTHEA "LYDIA" WILSON

( HARLEM HOTHEAD )