Chapter 20

"Y/n? Jesus Christ are you okay?" Nat burst into Y/n's room, slamming the door behind her and pulling her into a clinging hug. Y/n chuckled softly, given that Nat was never much of a hugger.

"I'm fine Nat, I promise." She pulled out from Nat's arms, giving her a reassuring smile. "Nobody was killed or injured, thankfully."

"Steve and I both saw the explosion from downtown, we weren't sure if we should've helped out."

"I'm sure as hell glad you didn't Nat, that was your special night out, which by the way you haven't even told me about yet!" Y/n gestured for Nat to sit on her bed, pulling out a bottle of wine from under her bed.

Nat raised an eyebrow. "It's two in the morning Y/n."

"Your point?"

Nat glanced at the clock, then back at Y/n who was shaking the bottle teasingly.

"Fine. One glass."

Y/n beamed and handed Nat a small glass she had saved the night before for this very occasion, filling it generously. She then poured one for herself and held up her glass.

"To first dates and world saving." Y/n quipped, to which Nat clinked her glass against hers. "To being a goddamn Avenger." They each took a long sip and sighed contentedly.

Nat set her glass down and faced Y/n. "As much as I want to talk about my date, you know me well. This attack is priority, I need details Y/n."

Y/n picked at her thumbs anxiously and nodded. "I know, it's just..."

"Just what? It's okay, you can tell me."

"What that man said... to me. And to Bucky-" Y/n subconsciously grabbed her drink and took a long swing, knowing that it wouldn't do anything to abolish the pit feeling that hadn't left her all night.

"Never mind. I'm sure Sam and Bucky already told Fury every single detail of what happened. He was a HYDRA agent on a suicide mission, and he's most likely part of a new assembled group of leftover HYDRA affiliates. That's it." Y/n stood up to put away her empty glass, turning her back to Nat.

Nat knew that she was purposely lying. Y/n knew better to never lie to her, who was one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s best and highly trained agents. The Red Room was built on lies. Nat would have to ask Bucky or Sam for full details later.

"He took me to Coney Island." Nat spoke from behind.

Y/n's shoulders perked up and she turned on her heel. "He did?"

"Yeah until I dragged him onto the scary rides. I almost feel bad now, he was trying so hard to sound like he was willing to go on them." Nat smirked, remembering Steve's expression when they were in line for The Thunderbolt.

Y/n let out an amused laugh. "The country's greatest soldier was scared of a few rides?"

"I'm not sure what he was expecting exactly." Nat shrugged, swirling her drink around her glass. "After these few years of working together, I thought he knew I wasn't into the rom-com cliché."

"Aw c'mon." Y/n hopped onto the bed next to her. "He probably learned that you can be a softie."

Nat threw her an slightly offended look. "Oh please, I'm just a master of pretending."

"Face it Nat." Y/n patted her on the shoulder. "You're in lovvvvee."

Nat shot up off the bed and slapped Y/n's hand off of her, who was giggling hysterically behind her. "Alright I'm leaving your stupid ass and going to bed."