Chapter 10

Bucky shut the door behind him after Steve had entered.

"Talk to me. What's going on?" Steve leaned against his bedroom walls. "You were so quiet on the drive back."

"I can't do all of this Steve."

"Do what?"

"This." Bucky waved his arms around him. "The whole, normal life thing. Going out with everybody, getting lunch. How can I keep pretending like it's okay?"

"You're not pretending Buck. You're a part of the team just like everyone else." Steve said putting an arm on his shoulder. "You need to stop worrying."

"This isn't about just worrying Steve. These very hands have taken peoples lives and I'm sitting here in this huge ass tower with all of these luxuries like it never happened."

Bucky's eyes gazed away from Steve's pitiful look. Steve opened his mouth to speak before his phone suddenly buzzed in his pocket. He looked back up at Bucky who gave him a dismissive wave.

After Bucky heard Steve's voice on the phone trail off down the hall, he slumped down on his soft mattress and sighed. The sudden memory of the cold, concrete floor of the HYDRA cells flashed in his mind. He remembered the feeling of waking up there, having been previously wiped, with no recollection of anything. Just that he was an asset.

He lifted his head up and stared blankly out the window at the wondrous city, with all its towering skyscrapers and bustling business people and tourists. What did he ever do to deserve such a life? To deserve everyone's forgiveness. Was there a way to avoid any of this happening to him in the first place?

He couldn't blame Steve for taking the phone call when he needed him. Steve was a busy man. He had the entire weight of the team and the press on his shoulders. Even with Tony there, Steve was always the one in charge. He was a natural leader.

Going to him had always been a known comfort to Bucky, but he could tell Steve was getting tired, even if he would never admit it to him. It was always the same problem, and it was one that Steve would never truly understand. Sure, he had his own hardships, but he was never a murderer. Steve will always be known to the public as America's golden boy.

He rested his forearm behind his head as he stared at his ceiling in a daze.

"At least Y/n doesn't remember." He mumbled to himself.

"What?" Bucky whipped his head up to see Nat leaning on his doorframe.

"It's nothing Natasha."

She cocked an eyebrow at him. "Is everything okay?"

He slowly stood up and started walking past her to the hallway, before her hand stopped him.

"Maybe you should try talking to her. You both could really use someone." She said softly.

Bucky kept his gaze forward. "I'm fine. No one could understand."

Nat frowned as she watched him walk away. He could be so damn stubborn sometimes. If only he made an effort.

She scoffed and turned to go down to her room before she heard a series of commotions coming from across the hall. She pushed the door of the bedroom the noise came from with her fingers. Her eyes widened as she scanned the scene in front of her. Wanda's clothes were laying, scattered all over her room, with her and Y/n laying tiredly on the small couch.

"We... were trying to organize." Y/n huffed. "Wanda tried to use her abilities to move all of the clothes to the bed, but then she just had to try and show off."

Wanda glared at her. "I tripped."

"On what? Air??" Y/n said, gesturing her hands around her.

Nat shook her head and smiled. "I left you guys for two minutes..."

"Hey! Wanda has a shit ton of clothes. It's not my fault that she made it impossible for anyone to organize it all."

They all laughed and got to picking up all the clothes, folding and hanging them up. They blasted their favorite tunes, each taking a turn on who's Spotify playlist to play.

"Oh my god you did have my hoodie!" Y/n grabbed the gray hoodie and waved it in front of Wanda's face.

"What can I say? I needed something comfortable and I didn't have anything." Wanda shrugged.

"Oh so you just assumed you could sneak into my room and grab whatever you like?" Y/n raised her eyebrows.

"No actually." Wanda smirked. "It was in the laundry. Guess I just grabbed one of yours."

"Be careful Y/n, Wanda likes to steal stuff. Sometimes I think she's a kleptomaniac." Nat joked.

"Oh what did I take from you?" Wanda rolled her eyes as she folded a knit sweater.

"Oh you know... my red jacket you've kept ever since Sokovia?" Nat reached down and grabbed  the red jacket sprawled out on the floor, to which Y/n burst out into laughter. "Since Sokovia?"

"Since Sokovia." Nat repeated, to which Wanda just grinned.

After finally finishing their organizing, they all nodded in satisfaction of their work.

"Does anybody else need a closet tidying?" Y/n asked around jokingly.

"I could bet that Thor would, but he'd have to pay me to even touch that closet of his." Nat chuckled.

Y/n laughed. "Yeah I'm pretty sure he just throws everything in there. My perfectionist self could never."

They all headed towards the kitchen, their conversation now shifting to what everybody's closets each look like.

"I bet Tony's is three times the size of all of ours combined. And I'm not including the suits." Y/n said as they stood in the elevator.

"Oh god you have absolutely no idea. It's so damn pristine. When I was an undercover SHIELD agent, I had to snoop around his belongings. The only problem was that I couldn't. I spent hours trying to figure out where everything in that shopping-mall-he-calls-a-closet was." Nat said rubbing her face.

"Hmm now who did we miss..." Wanda thought. "Oh right! Bucky."

They all went silent as they tried to picture his organization skills. He was a closed book, this wasn't exactly easy.

"I guess it's just really messy. I bet he doesn't really care all that much about being organized." Wanda shrugged. Nat nodded in agreement.

Y/n couldn't help but smile to herself. "Nah. I bet he's not as careless as we might think. A part of me thinks that everything in his room is carefully and specially placed. He appreciates everything too much."

Wanda and Nat shared a look before Nat grinned. "Yeah, maybe."