Chapter 17: Intimacy ritual

Even before the soulmarks are given, the intimacy ritual might be triggered at any time. It can happen between unconnected "unmarked" individuals and connected "soulmarked" individuals. It is intertwined with the moral code.

When a pair engages in intense kissing or make-out sessions that could lead to intimacy, the system can be triggered by the ritual. The system being alerted to the fact that a bond had been triggered. However, if the couple is under the age of 21, the system will classify their relationship as puppy love, and they will just receive a warning.

If one of the couple is soulmarked and the other isn't, the system can identify soulmate awareness, indicating that they may become soulmates later if the one without a soulmark obtains one. If the intimacy ritual has been triggered and intimacy has occurred, most prospective soulmates will not receive a warning and will be free.

If you are a branded Tarnished, it is also against the law of the system to be intimately involved with a soulmarked. Those who have will be held accountable. How?  Pay a hefty charge, risk losing a baby conceived during their relationship, and be prevented from fathering another child...or face a few days in prison if you don't. When the summons arrives, the majority of people prefer to pay the fine.

When the intimacy ritual is activated, a white-blue light surrounds the couple while they engage in heavy kissing, potentially leading to intimacy. When you're already heavily engaged, strong couples may detect the aura about them, which is difficult to break.