18

-Sophie-

Ruy. That stupid psionipath ruined my life once, he's not allowed to do it again. I can't let him get to Keefe. According to Councillor Oralie's cache, the one that gave us nothing, Ruy might be involved in Stellarlune. It's only a theory, but Ruy's name was all I was thinking while watching the forgotten secret.

 "What are you waiting for? Are you going to attack me or what?" he snarls. 

"It would be idiotic to attack someone who can hurt you with their defense," Biana says. "It's best to bide our time and wait for the perfect moment when your guard is down."

 I see Linh sneaking out the back of her cell when Ruy's eyes are on us. I look away so he won't follow my eyes to her. 

"But that's not fun, are you sure you don't want to try your vanishing moves?" Ruy asks. 

Biana notices Linh and disappears. "You know, maybe I will." 

Gethen has his eyes locked on me. 

"What's wrong Moonlark?" he taunts. "How about we take this conversation telepathic?"

"Sophie don't you dare open your mind to Gethen!" Grady shouts from inside his cell. 

"Dad? What are you doing here you weren't supposed to follow us!"

"You think us fathers would just let our children and our wives stroll into danger?" Alden adds. 

"Just stay quiet! Please," I plead. 

I return focus to Gethen. 

And what would I gain from this conversation then Gethen? I transmit to him.

At last the Moonlark and I get to talk in our heads. Let's see, you can earn so much information, if you just look. He smirks.

I'd never be so foolish as to open my mind in your head. What do you want to talk about?

Are you sure you wouldn't? Isn't this what you've been waiting for?

No, what I'm trying to do is get Gisela and Vespera in the somnatorium, and you too. We didn't forget what you did to Eternalia. 

Now now Sophie, don't you understand? Eternalia is the source of all wrong, where the elves have too much control. 

And you thought destroying it and nearly killing all of the people inside would solve that?

Radical problems require radical solutions. When no one listens, you have to be bold. 

The words ring around in my head. It's not that us and the Neverseen have such different views on world issues. It's how each happens. But then I remember how little our being polite and diplomatic has done for the Black Swan. Sure, we've made progress. But when will we ever do enough? We don't have to bring down cities, but we do have to be bold. 

Am I making sense to you now Sophie? Gethen's head starts broadcasting his thoughts to me again. I remember his manipulative skills. 

You're right, we do need to be bold, but not like this. I would never pretend to kill someone and keep them locked away. Think of the damage you've done to people like Grady and Edaline! You're hurting innocent people who share your same beliefs! You can't do this Gethen, you won't get away with this. Being bold and reckless are not the same.

Linh douses Gethen in water, breaking our connection. Startled, he falls to the ground. I pull a dagger out of my tunic and rush at him, knocking him out cold with the butt of my knife.