Vengeance

Saturday 11th October 1975

"Time?" James called, feverishly jotting down notes in his journal.

"Midnight," Peter replied, having been sorting through old scraps of parchment.

Sirius reached for his mug, about to take a sip but slumped when he saw there was nothing inside. "Is there more coffee?"

Remus flicked his wand, a pot floating across their dorm, and poured a steaming amount into Sirius' mug.

He grinned, "Thanks, mate."

***

"Time?" Sirius asked, having discarded his nightshirt, the room growing quite hot.

"One," Peter chirped.

Sirius groaned, scratching at his head. "Fuck, find anything?"

"Got a strand of Troll hair?" Remus called from his bed.

"...No."

"Then I ain't got shit." He sighed, opening up a new textbook.

***

"Time," James yawned.

There was silence.

He picked up his pillow, flinging it at Peter which hit him square in the face. "Oi! No sleeping remember?" James reprimanded.

Peter jolted awake, rubbing his tiresome eyes as he squinted at the clock. "Two forty-five," he grumbled, flopping back on his bed.

"Pete no sleeping," Sirius rasped, taking his pillow and throwing it as well. He missed, knocked over a lamp instead.

***

"T...Time," Sirius asked, barely getting through his sentence without his eyes fluttering closed from heavy exhaustion. No one responded but Sirius didn't care. He fell straight to sleep.

***

Loud snores filled the boy's dormitories. James lied on his back, mouth gaped as his chest rose and fell with each breath, a Transfiguration book open on his chest. Peter, at some point in the night, had made his way to the bathroom, he never came back out. Remus, the last time Sirius had checked, was still in his bed, a glowing light illuminating from the inside of his drawn curtains.

Sirius was on the floor, head resting against the footboard of his bed, a Potions book open on his lap. He was indulged in a deep, darkened sleep, his surroundings so tranquil and silent. His dream was vivid, skin feeling quite warm, tanned, like rays were beaming down. His fingertip brushed against tall grass, maybe wheat. The air was sweet, he could taste it, like honey or butterscotch resonating on his tongue. It watered his mouth making him hungry for more.

Then there was a faint yelling in the distance, like a voice reeling him into the real world. It pricked his hearing but he pushed it aside, roaming farther into whatever field he was in, but Sirius jolted into consciousness when a splash of ice-cold liquid drenched his face, startling his heart.

He sputtered out the water, blinking through the droplets which clung to his lashes. His vision was hazy, a darkened blur but a figure was crouched before him.

"Wake up ya nob," Remus grinned, ruffling his damp hair.

Sirius groaned, coughing out some water that had gone up his nose, lids heavy and gazing around their dorm. It was still dark, misty, aroma thick with the smell of coffee beans. Parchments and textbooks covered every open space, his discarded nightshirt in a ball by the dresser. Specks of starlight shone through their window and lit the corners of their floorboards, its brightness stung his sensitive eyes, making him wince.