Part 19: Comfort and Calm

It was a magical night.

I walked into that room high on Henry. He had made love to me and then declared his love of me in front of the world—and then he asked for my hand in marriage before the eyes of our closest friends and family.

I had never felt so complete in my life. My children, my love—everything had fallen into place.

I couldn't imagine what I had done to deserve such good fortune.

Around the room, I hugged and kissed all of our friends and family. Henry had arranged this gathering through his PA and managed to keep it quiet from me for some time.

It felt like a very American party—loud and boisterous. Certainly eyebrow raising to some of Henry's older family members, and of course to my parents. Thankfully they retreated back to their hotels early, while the rest of our group ate and drank for hours.

Henry and I were both off on opposite sides of the room, meeting with everyone, and from time to time we'd catch one another's eye. I loved watching him move effortlessly amongst the guests—comfortable and confident, and breathtakingly gorgeous. He seemed at ease—as did I—seemingly always "on."

"He's really something," a voice cooed into my ear. I turned my head to see Kayla, Brixie's bartending witch place her hands on my shoulders as she pressed herself to my side.

I turned and hugged her, "You're right," I agreed. We both watched Henry from across the room. He was glowing. I looked her over, "You look fantastic," I let her know.

She nodded, "Since you've been gone, I hired a personal trainer. I hate going to the gym alone now."

"Great!" I told her. I laughed, "Henry has been my trainer. Paps keep my diet in check with anxiety, and he keeps me trim with all the sexin'." Kayla laughed with me. "And I've been swimming and lifting weights," I added, shrugging. "And now I'm knocked up."

"How are you feeling?" she asked me, her voice softening.

"Uncomfortable. But Henry is a dream come true. He really makes everything better," I told her.

"Dream come true," Kayla echoed, holding my eye.

"What?" I asked her.

"Nothing," she replied quickly, shaking her head.

I watched her, knowing she was on the verge of saying something. "I know you and I haven't talked much since you met Henry," she said, pausing. "And I remember the request for a spell," she finished quietly.

I chuckled. "Yeah, right? What are the odds that I'd ask for a spell, and then will him into my bar a year later?"

"Clearly, the odds were in your favor," Kayla said quickly, giving me a lopsided smile. "Be careful. The pendulum always swings back," she told me. Her dark eyes stayed on my own, and I felt a shiver in my bones.

I laughed nervously. "Are you thinking that our meeting was...supernatural?" I joked.

She didn't laugh, but she did smile—a smile that didn't touch her eyes and had no warmth in it. "I know that your meeting was supernatural."

"Sarah," Henry said to me, as he approached us. He gave Kayla a hug and a kiss on the cheek, before he slid his arm around me, landing his hand on the small of my back. His blue eyes were wide, as was his grin. He looked buzzed. He leaned in and kissed my cheek, nuzzling my ear a bit.

"How are you doing, baby?" I asked him, adjusting his lapel as an excuse to roll my hands across his muscled chest and admire my new engagement ring.

"Fantastic," he beamed. "Kayla, thank you for joining us tonight." he told her, giving her a dazzling smile.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world," Kayla said, smiling at us. "I'm so happy for you both."

We ended the night late. I was exhausted having been on my feet all night. I fell asleep in Henry's arms in the car on the way home. I awoke when he lifted me into his arms to carry me inside. I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head on his chest.

Once inside, he put me down in front of our bed, and proceeded to undress me. After he pulled my dress and undergarments off, he laid me in our bed, covering me with blankets. He disappeared for a moment and returned with witch hazel and cotton to remove my make up. I smiled at him groggily, as he cleaned my make up off, and then followed it up by layering moisturizer on my face.

"I love you so much, Henry," I mumbled to him.

He climbed into bed with me a few minutes later, his clothes gone, too. We held one another all night, naked and blissful.

The next few months went by slowly. I was physically uncomfortable, but Henry was a fantastic help. We would spend weekend afternoons on the sofa, watching various sporting events. I tried to maintain enthusiasm for learning the rules of rugby, but I would often fall asleep curled up beside him while he ranted and cheered at the television. He cleared his schedule for the last two weeks of March—knowing that the baby was due in April. He would slip away to go to the gym daily, usually while I slept long hours. We'd go swimming, and then come home and take long, hot showers together afterwards.

We'd make love everyday. And we would lie in bed and tell each other stories—sometimes stories about our lives, sometimes stories we'd read, sometimes fiction we'd create for one another. I had never imagined that I could feel so safe and complete in the company of another person. I sang to him all the time, sometimes whispers into his ear and sometimes declarations of love from across the house and sometimes in the throes of passion—he inspired me in every way imaginable. I wanted to become a better version of myself everyday—for him. For the first time in my life, I felt like I was truly loved.

Sometimes he would stay up all night gaming. He played alone a lot, but he'd often jump in with Max, or his brothers, or friends. I'd often snuggle up on the sofa beside him to watch the action, catching my son screaming profanities at other players. Henry would laugh profusely at Max's antics online. Max's friends would also pile on, sometimes they'd tease Henry—I overheard quite a few "your mom" moments.

Henry agreed to do a Zoom interview about gaming with some famous gamer during the few days before my due date. He called me over to join him on camera for a moment, displaying my swollen belly, as he kissed it on screen. I stayed silent, smiling and waving, and running off as soon as he let me go. My pregnant brain ate up all my witty responses before I could think of them. I retreated to the kitchen to begin to prepare a meal for us. I wasn't terribly hungry, just bored.

Just then, I felt liquid trickle down my leg.

Did I just piss myself?

I blinked rapidly, trying to understand why my body was seemingly leaking.

My water broke.

"Henry," I said calmly. I reached for a towel and began cleaning the floor where the liquid was. I could hear him talking—he was still on the Zoom interview. I returned to the bedroom to get changed and grab the bag I had packed for the hospital. I kind of lingered in the threshold of the computer room. He looked over to me and flashed me the "one minute" signal.

While he wrapped up his interview, I texted Max and Emma to let them know that I was headed to the hospital and that Henry would be in touch with them soon. They both wished me luck.

"What's up?" Henry said to me, as he walked towards me. His interview was over, and he looked happy—bright eyes and a wide smile.

I smiled back at him. "It's time," I told him.

He raised both eyebrows, "Time for what?"

"My water broke."

His face paled and his eyes grew wide, just as they had when I told him the news of my pregnancy. Then his perfect mouth curled into the biggest smile I'd ever seen.

"Really?" He asked, almost shouting in excitement. He kissed me square on the lips. "I love you," he said into the kiss.

"I love you more," I answered him, laughing.

"Let's go," he said, excitedly, grabbing my bag that was on the floor beside my feet.