Part 34: Suspicious Minds

Tyrus returned me home after breakfast. I couldn't eat—I was jet lagged and distraught. I flipped on the television, and lied down on my sofa, immediately beginning to dose off.

The ring of my landline brought me back to consciousness. I looked around the living room for the handset.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Mom?"

"Oh, Em," I said, relieved.

"What the hell is going on?" she said, her voice cracking.

"I'm at home," I said, trying to sound cheery.

"Henry has all of Scotland Yard searching for you, Mom," Emily said, sounding exasperated. "What happened?"

"Oh, not much," I said, trying to blow off her concern. "Everything is fine, babe."

"Mom," she said, her voice stern and low. "Henry told me that you disappeared last night. You went out for a cigarette, and never came back."

I chewed on my lip for a moment. "Is that what he told you?"

I was trying to recount the events that occurred directly after Taylor said those words.

"You invited me into your bed..."

I remembered pulling away from Henry. I remember grabbing my clutch and pulling out a cigarette, before stomping off to smoke outside the nightclub. Crying freely in front of all the important people at the party, I puffed away on my Dunhill. I must have looked insane.

"Mom!" Emily shouted at me, snapping me back to reality. "I'm texting him right now," she told me angrily.

"That's fine," I whispered. "I didn't have my phone. Im sorry for worrying you."

"I don't know what you were doing, but he's been a mess looking for you. I don't know how you ended up in Chicago, and you can tell me later. You need to call him right now," she said.

"I can't call him, Em," I tried to tell her.

"The hell you can't!" she shouted at me. "Call him right now!"

"Okay!" I agreed. "I'll call him now."

"Okay, I love you," Emily said before getting off the phone.

I stared at the handset and tried to summon the courage to phone him. I didn't want to talk to him, but I didn't want him wasting police resources on me!

If you hadn't left your phone at the bar, you could have texted him, dum-dum.

I put the phone to my ear and heard it ring.

"Sarah?"

Henry.

"Yes," I whispered, closing my eyes and desperately failing to stop the tears.

"You're in Chicago?" he said. His voice sounded strained.

"Yes."

"Are you leaving me?"

My heart sank. I tried to stifle a sob, to no avail. I was uncontrollably crying. "I love you," I sobbed.

"You can't leave me," he whispered into the phone. Those words made me cry harder. "I need you, I love you."

"How did this happen?" I wept, trying to catch my breath.

"I'm heading to Chicago," he told me.

I nodded to myself, squeezing my eyes shut. "When will you be here?"

"Two days—I have that shoot tomorrow," he said, his tone clipped. He softened, "I want to go to you right now, Sarah."