Part 40: Ride the Wave Where it Takes Me

Is Henry Cavill married?

Deuxmoi had been buzzing with tips—before the Vanity Fair article dropped. Someone from the magazine leaked that Henry revealed his marriage status in the interview. Speculation was wild back at home.

But Henry and I were nowhere near the hustle and bustle of London's paparazzi on this day. We were honeymooning on a private beach in Fiji—I was reading a book on East Asian politics and Henry was having a run on the beach. We planned to reconvene and try our hand at surfing. We'd both surfed before, but while I was fit—he was fit, graceful, and athletic. I was resilient, though, so as many times as I got knocked off the board, I'd get back up and try again. It didn't hurt that the tiny, black bikini I was wearing was extremely flattering—dare I say, outright sexy. Every time I hopped up on the surfboard, Henry got to get an eyeful of my ass in that thong. I definitely didn't mind enticing him all day.

I watched him jog towards me over the rim of my sunglasses. His swim shorts were short, showing off the muscles of his thighs. I licked my lips at the sight of them. He must have noticed, because he sent me a knowing smirk with a raised eyebrow as he closed the gap between us.

"Are you ogling me?" he asked me, narrowing his eyes at me as he slid into the lounge chair beside mine.

"I absolutely am ogling you, yes," I answered. I wiped the corner of my mouth with my thumb, pretending to clear away the drool. I squeezed my thighs together and pushed my chest out towards him. My skin was tan and smooth, and my breasts were barely concealed by the bikini top. "I can't help it," I whispered, dramatically. "You're just so...fucking...hot..." I sighed, batting my eyelashes at him.

We both laughed at me, but he leaned over to give me a sweet kiss, and snuck his hand into my bikini top to pinch my nipple. I slapped his hand away.

"Have you seen the internet?" he asked me, getting comfortable and reaching for his phone on the table between our chairs.

I shook my head, uninterested, returning my eyes to my book.

"Apparently, I'm trending," he said, with a smirk, looking at the screen. 

I glanced over at him, "Yeah? What for?"

"There are rumors that I got married."

I laughed, "You did get married. Is it still considered a rumor if it's true? Doesn't that just mean that people know?" 

He laughed, too. He positioned his phone's camera to take a selfie. I snorted and shook my head at him. He gave me a faux-outraged look, "What? You know I need to post."

I laughed. "The thirst traps..."

He gave me a naughty smile, "I can't help that I enjoy sparking my audience's imagination."

I laughed, "You want them to imagine that they're on top of you?"  I rolled my eyes at him, as he feigned an innocent look for the camera. His eyes were innocent, but his smile was knowing. And he was sweaty and shirtless with tousled hair—lying on a beach lounger. Definitely a thirst trap. He snapped a few photos, trying to decide which one he would post.

I put my book down and moved to his chair, sitting beside him. He turned his phone to me to show me the photos. "Which one?"

I swiped through them, choosing a photo that looked positively devilish. "You don't look like a married man in this photo," I said.

"What does that even mean?" he asked, pretending to be offended by my comment.

I laughed. "It means I'm going to have to try to make an honest man out of you again. Maybe a few more times today..."

"Seriously, Sarah, look," Henry thrust his phone into my hand.

#HenryCavill was trending on Twitter.

"Upcoming Vanity Fair article is rumored to reveal that Superman officially married Sarah Roberts in secret French wedding"

"Well, some of it is true?" I said, shrugging. "I bet the tweets are hilarious."

I scanned Henry's Twitter feed. He had a secret account that he used only for lurking and reading funny tweets. "Oooh! This one is good!" I laughed, "PR relationships gone too far—when management makes you get married. #HenryCavill."

We both laughed. There were quite a few like that, but most of the tweets were crying GIFs, skeptics naming me Henry's beard, or fans clamoring for photographic evidence.

We had only been married for a few days at this point, and frankly, I was also shocked by it. I kept expecting to wake up back in the Midwest.

I placed his phone back on the table. "Let's get in the water," I said, grinning. I could never tire of being in the ocean.

After spending hours frolicking and flailing in the ocean on my surfboard, i was officially spent. I carried the giant board above my head as I moved away from the shore. Peeking over my shoulder, I saw Henry doing the same.

We discarded the boards in the sand and made our way to our villa, hand in hand. We were alone, with the exception of cooking and wait staff. I led us into our bedroom, and let his hand go to flop on to the bed, my skin and bikini still wet from the ocean.

He stood nearby, smiling as he watched me get comfortable. I motioned for him to join me, and he climbed in beside me, planting a kiss on my shoulder as he lied on his front, propped up on his elbows.  Our sandy feet dangled off the side of the bed.

"No one has ever given me the undivided attention you've given me," I said to him after a few moments of silence.

Henry nodded, "it took a long time for me to learn how important that was. I can't help it. I get lost in you," he said, quietly, a small smile on his lips.

"What now?"

The question wasn't only about our plans for the day. It was a question about us—our relationship, our careers, our family, our marriage. We had defied the odds at every turn, and managed to strengthen our bond at every setback.

I saw Henry close his eyes, deep in thought. His long lashes splayed across his sun kissed cheeks and he slightly pursed his lips. The sight of it brought a smile to my face.

"We can do whatever we like," he said softly, his eyes still closed.

We both dozed off after a bit, our sandy feet still dangling off the side of the bed. I dreamt about the ocean and his eyes and the silk of my wedding dress and the warmth of his chest.

I awoke to Henry's chest hairs tickling my face. He had wrapped his arms around me, and I had slept comfortably in his grasp. I pressed my lips to his skin, giving him a few kisses, and he stirred, letting out a low grumble before tightening his arms around me. The sunlight was still bright as it began to dip in the sky.

"Hmm..." he hummed to me, the corner of his mouth turned up into an easy smile. I closed my eyes, nuzzling his chest.

For the first time in my life, my mind was blank. I could hear the waves crashing on the shore from my place in his arms. Our breathing matched the rhythm of the sea.