The Painting

Opal is excited to be spending the day with her Aunt Rapunzel

Opal is excited to be spending the day with her Aunt Rapunzel. And the best part of it is, they're painting together! One of the young girl's favorite things to do.

     Rapunzel hands Opal some paints, and each of them get to work on their own easels. After a few short minutes of mixing colors and stroking her brush against the paper, Opal stands back and admires her work with satisfaction.

     "Aunt Raps, look what I made!" Opal says, smiling proudly.

     "That was quick!" Rapunzel laughs. But once she takes a look at Opal's painting, she is more than a little surprised by what she sees. "Oh! Um... Is that...?"

     "It's a baby tree!" Opal beams.

     Rapunzel observes the painting closely. It is almost an exact replica of the paintings she and her whole art class where once forced to paint by Mrs. Sugarby.

     "This... It's very interesting, Opal," Rapunzel says, at a loss for words. "I guess your mother must have told you this story?"

     "What story?" Opal asks, confused. "I dreamt about it last night!"

     "You... dreamt about it? But, how...?"

     But Opal now seems uninterested. She takes the painting down, hands it to Rapunzel, and places a fresh piece of paper on the easel and begins painting again.

     Rapunzel stares at the painting Opal made, unsure whether to be amazed... or concerned.