Birds and Realizations

"All of the sky lies before us
Straight up to the far stratosphere
So head for the blue and let's take in the view from up here."

Opal flaps her wings and dives through the clouds as her mother and Aunt Rapunzel sing a beautiful song, joyful and free. Being a bird is so fun!

     But, the fun doesn't last long; Opal is awakened from her nap by her father

"You were sure wearing a wide smile in your sleep, Little Gem," Varian says as she rubs at her eyes sleepily. "Did you have a good dream?"

"I did!" Opal replies. "Me, Mommy, and Aunt Raps got turned into birdies!"

"Oh. Wow, that's... interesting," Varian says, raising a concerned eyebrow.

But Opal doesn't even seem to notice.

Later on, after Cassandra's shift, Varian pulls her aside. "She did it again," he says. "She had another dream."

"What kind of dream?" Cassandra asks.

"She said that you and Rapunzel and been transformed into birds," Varian says. "Didn't that actually happen to you guys on your first trip to the Dark Kingdom?"

"Yes, but it could just be a coincidence. Kids dream about stuff like that all the time."

Varian narrows his eyes. "She said there was a creepy man and woman in the forest with a magical teapot."

"Of course she did..." Cassandra says, sighing worriedly. "And we're not the only ones who've noticed something is going on with her. Rapunzel told me Opal painted a very... disturbing painting from our past the other day."

"That's disconcerting," Varian says.

"Tell me about it..." Cassandra says. "So, what do we do?"

"I'm not sure there's anything we can do," Varian replies. "But, I'm starting to suspect why this may be happening..."

For a moment, Cassandra seems confused. But after staring at Varian for a brief moment, realization hits her. "Wait, you mean...?"

Varian nods. "Honestly, I don't know how we didn't see it before."

"Um, maybe because Opal wasn't even a thought when it happened?" Cassandra says. "You and I had only just got together."

"But it makes sense, doesn't it? I mean, you're on the same page as me, right?"

"I guess," Cassandra says. "I don't see any other explanation, but it just seems... strange."

"'Strange' is an understatement," Varian says, pulling her into a comforting embrace. "But this has to be it. This has to be the gift Infinity referred to..."