prologue

prologueheaven on earth (?)

prologue
heaven on earth (?)

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

********

When she opened her eyes, Vita was met by a bright light. It was white and ice cold. It was one of those lights that would make your heart fasten, yet freeze the blood in your veins. It was as welcoming as it was natural. She couldn't feel the soft touch of the sun on her skin. And for a moment the girl thought she was dead.

Maybe this was heaven? Although it felt more like hell. But she hadn't done anything that would send her to the devil's realm yet. So if this was indeed heaven, she didn't want it. This didn't feel like a safe haven. Outlandish, yes, but not safe, never safe.

After her eyes adjusted to the abnormality, she could see more clearly. The ceiling was made up of lamps rectangular in shape. There was a quiet, almost unnoticeable, whirring coming from them. As she sat up her gaze travelled down the walls. They were painted all in white. So were the floor and the bed she was lying on. Everything was slowly suffocating her.

Even her old clothes were replaced by new ones. White, just like the room she was trapped in. They looked so different in comparison to what she usually wore. Vita never in her life had worn clothes as nice and clean. She was used to moth-eaten and tattered hand-me-downs, not to this.

There was one exception though. Only one thing that wasn't white. The oil painting near the exit. It was the only thing remotely calming in there. Vita's feet carried her to it. Her body didn't belong to her as she ran her fingers over the canvas. The landscape it showed was alluring and a bit blurry. It was the picturesque landscape Vita searched, yet never found.

A beautifully depicted summer day right out of a romance novel that was how it looked. There was a poppy field and women accompanied by their young children, all dressed in exquisite gowns. Evidently it was from another time. It made her forget her own. She wished she could leave hers, and travel inside the painting instead.

"The Poppy Field near Argenteuil" by Claude Monet she remembered, after taking in its delicacy for a bit longer. Vita had learned about the artist in school. Monet was Aspen's favourite painter. She promised the brunette that one day it would be them enjoying the afternoon's sun in the poppy field near Argenteuil. One day she would take her there. But that day never came.

The brunette gave the painting one last glance before her eyes drifted to the door right next to her. It was graced by a circular window, allowing her to look inside another room, built just like hers. Yet, unlike hers, the room was empty. None of her people seemed to be with her. However the girl was surprised by something - or rather someone - dressed in a blue hazmat suit.

The figure scared her to death, making her take a step back from the door and flee further inside of the coldness of the room. At that moment, she looked like a doe caught in the headlight. Staring at the terrifying person, yesterday's memories found their way back to the girl.

Grounders. Battle cries. Bloodshed. Fire. Agony. Anya. Ashes. Death. Chaos. Red.

Suddenly, everything came back, hitting the girl like a tide.

********

published: 12 June, 2021

A/N: I'm so excited for this. I have to admit, I don't quite know where to take this yet, but I hope it will be someplace good. Also, English isn't my first language, so feel free to tell me about any mistakes I made, I'd be happy to correct them. Have a lovely day!