chapter three

chapter threeescape i

chapter three
escape i

"We've got to live,
no matter
how many skies have fallen."

********

"We're gonna get you out of here," Vita had promised the grounder, while Clarke wildly fumbled on the tiny cage's lock. Although the girl's voice had been calm and collected, she was terrified. In her years as a midwife (and soon-to-be medic), she had learned to conceal her fear and put on a confident facade around patients, so she wouldn't worry them any further.

But this facade crumbled at Mount Weather. Getting out of that hellhole had seemed like a task, impossible to fulfil. Still, the girl had continued to speak words of comfort and whispered sweet nothings. In the meanwhile, Clarke had managed to break the lock with the help of a pipe. Vita was about to help Anya out of the cage, when they heard the heavy door open.

And that was how they ended up there; shoulder to shoulder, hoping to go unnoticed, praying for Dr. Tsing not to see the opened rusty lock on the floor, lying inches in front of the cage. Vita forgot how to breathe and only remembered when the doctor fled the room. The grounder's hands had been reaching out for the doctor too, scarring her in process. Then, Clarke jerked the cage's door open. They fled.

Vita and Clarke heaved the weakened woman up. The three of them could only move slowly. Nevertheless, they made it to a huge door. When the girls from the sky saw the words "DANGER PROTECTIVE SUITS REQUIRED BEYOND THIS POINT" they knew where to go. With all her strength Vita opened the final exit, only to be led into another small room.

The lights were warm. They reminded the blonde of the sunsets she had witnessed on earth. When the sky was painted in shades of orange and pink. In her opinion, sunsets were Mother Nature's most beautiful creation. But the room in which she stood was man-made and from there she couldn't see the sky. Most and for all, she couldn't leave it, when the door closed and trapped them inside.

Clarke rushed towards the exit. The girl was beating and pounding against it. She fought a battle and she lost. Suddenly, an alarm set in. Perplexed, Clarke went back to where Anya and Vita were standing. She gave the latter a defeated look, when suddenly the floor disappeared. They were falling until they found themselves in a sea of half dead grounder bodies. Another sight that would haunt Vita forever.

Reality was a nightmare. Just that it couldn't be escaped. Vita couldn't just open her eyes. It wouldn't go away.

"Oh my God! Oh my God!" Clarke exclaimed, immediately feeling the urge to get out of there. So did her friend. The girl was about to throw up. However for Anya it was worse. Those were her people. She didn't want to leave them behind. Nonetheless, she took Clarke's hand. And they jumped out of there.