Day One

Hullo, there. It’s Tom. Now, I see that she’s filled you in on her life before me, I’ll get to the interesting part (and bloody stop trying to tame my hair, Ash.). Well after she collapsed, I was really scared. I had waited for my socium sanguis, or to put it simply, a person that could watch my back for a whole year, and then it wasn’t a boy, it was a girl. The thing is, I’ve been more open to her than I have any boy, and I've only known her for a year, but I wouldn’t want it to be any different. Anyway, after she collapsed, I carried her to a bed in the infirmary.

As I walked the halls, I kept thinking that now my whole life was revolved around her. The golden-haired girl with the scarily intelligent dark eyes and skin that seemed to glow was now my lifeline. I would share living quarters with her, and when we graduated from Jumper school, we would do everything together.

Now, let me introduce you to Jumper life.  The Jumper headquarters are in a little fold in infinity, or so they tell me, and we have 6 levels. Each one takes a year. We ARE still kids, but evolved into adults, so naturally we find ways to emphasize it. The older girls in level 3 or 4 lust. As in for…..sex. In the course of Jumper training, we’re given infertility injections, which helped as then they would never get…..pregnant. All boys wanted a girl so the arrangement was fine both ways. I personally never wanted a girl myself. I thought it was disgusting and vulgar, which, in turn led the other boys to think I was gay. The Ash arrived. The boys normally would judge her appeal first, but, as they always would have done, they asked if she was mine, both as SoulGuard and a girl. I wasn’t so sure, but the moment she opened her eyes and I stared into them, I was struck by the torrent of protectiveness that I felt. She was scared, confused, defiant, nervous, homesick, betrayed and on top of it all, she was very, very, angry.

I told myself to stop mooning about her and headed back to my our new quarters.

It was a bunk room, with 10 bunk beds with 2 tables, lamps and closets for each one. There were two big bathrooms and changing rooms for both genders. We even had a telly.

A big, brutish boy loomed in front of me.

“Who are you?”

I straightened up into attention. This was obviously the commander of the squadron I was now in.

“Sir, yes sir! Tom Robinson, one half of subject 03670, reassigned to squadron C, bunk 10.”

“I’m your commander, Dirshanter Wells. Well, I assume that you’ve been given the big tour and a meal. Choose your bunk and closet and take a bath. After that, you go to bed. Lessons start tomorrow. OK? Oh, and you’re needed for your last experiment, since you have a SoulGuard now.”

“Sir yes sir!”

“Dismissed.”

~~~~~~~~~~

I lay down on the bed, dully waiting for this to be over. The doctor smiled at me.

“This is supposed to be for dreamless sleep. Ok? Get ready.”

“Ok.”

My vision was black. Next thing I knew, I was lying in the infirmary with Ash looking down on me.

“You’re awake. I was really scared when you were just lying there so still, but it turns out, they were experimenting on you.”

“And you never told me,” she accused (That’s what I did when I didn’t have a SoulGuard. There was one awful experiment…….but that’s another story).