CHAPTER 13 - LOVERS IN A STRANGE LAND

"So, we're free to go?" Shiloh said, not quite believing his ears. He was standing in what had probably been a hospital waiting room. Now it was empty, save a still functioning coffee machine, and some boxes of medicinal supplies stacked along one wall.

"Yes," the black-armored giant with the ruined face replied.

"Just like that?"

"Just like that. I have what I need. There is no need for further questioning. And feel free to use the coffee machine," Kaminsky said as if reading Shiloh's thoughts.

"I was just...never mind." The former pilot and wing commander moved over to the machine, grabbed a cup from a shelf, and hit the button for regular black.

"Your mind, Ajax Shiloh, is like an open book to me," the giant said while Shiloh waited for the cup to fill. "Between your statements, the recordings from the interrogation, and what I've plucked from your head, I have enough. Or were you thinking about the horror tales you heard about the Order as a kid?"

"I...no...yes, I guess I was." He tried the coffee. It was hot and black as sin. Just the way he liked it.

"I don't torture people," Kaminsky said. "I'm not a Quaestor, searching for hidden answers. I'm a Custodian—what you'd call a Keeper. A priest of the Dragon if you will, and a warrior-legate. It is my job to protect the Knights, keep them safe from Abyssal influence and hostile psychics. Questioning you is not a typical task for me."

"But isn't this like a Dragonic fortress or something? Don't you have dungeons and interrogators or whatnot?"

"Draconic, Shiloh, not Dragonic. But yes, it's a fort of sorts. A converted hospital if I'm not mistaken. And yes, there have been a lot of interrogations. But the action has moved on, so to speak, and the resident Quaestor left with the rest. The Word of Light was cleaned out of Thira long ago. We caught the local Bishopearly in the war, made him talk. That's why the fort was established here, to begin with."

"Bishop? Was that what we caught?"

"Yes." The blind giant looked the Shiloh in the eye. "A Bishopis the leader of a congregation. A high priest—and a legate—in league with Abyssal powers. Very dangerous. In fact, I was initially concerned that you had been converted."

"Never been the religious type," Shiloh said and sipped the coffee. "And this 'Word of Light' seemed less appealing than most religions." The brew was too hot, but it gave an excuse to look away. It didn't help—Shiloh could still feel the eye-less Keeper looking into his soul.

"You'd be surprised how many find their faith when they fear death is near."

Shiloh couldn't argue with that. He'd certainly said a few prayers or called out to the Gods when he was sure his time was up.

"Or when shown the horrors of the Abyss."

"What do you mean?" Shiloh said. He knew what the Abyss was, of course. The great pit of darkness lurking beneath the physical universe, the place where the Shadow dwelled, attended by its legions of vengeful spirits. The counterpart of the Olympus, the heavenly abode of the Gods of the Pantheon.

"The Bishopwill speak to you, soft honeyed words, promising community and protection, while also showing you the horrors clawing at the veil separation our universe from theirs. What would you choose, Wing Commander? A fate far worse than death? Or to walk in the dark light with your brethren at your side?"

When Kaminsky put it that way, Shiloh wasn't so sure about the answer. "Good thing you caught the guy early then. Lucky that."

"No luck involved, Shiloh. It was the Will of the Dragon."