CHAPTER 30 - GOODBYE IS NOT FOREVER

"I..." Marcus began. Some unseen force grabbed at his throat. He couldn't breathe, let alone finish the sentence. The pressure increased, threatening to crush his windpipe. He lashed out mentally at the only possible source of the sudden attack, Haides Guillaume. The gatekeeper deflected most of the psychic energies, but he was sufficiently distracted for Marcus to break free of the telekinetic vice.

Marcus gulped down air, and his hand reflexively rubbed at his throat. It's not real, none of this is real. He can't really hurt me. It's all in my mind. Marcus could feel Haides's grip starting to tighten again. Screw this—if the bastard wants to play with fire, I'll show him fire. Marcus had no talent for telekinetics, but he knew how to fight force with fire. He set up a psychic feedback loop. Whatever telekinetic power Haides applied to him would be returned onto him twofold as heat.

Marcus's counter had the desired effect. Haides let go and lifted his hands, not in apology, but as an offer of truce. "Relax. I meant you no harm. I just needed to test your resolve a little."

Marcus's throat was still raw. "Relax?" he croaked. "You just attacked an agent of the Dragon Order. Swift retribution is required!"

"Well, yes, I believe I just did," Haides said, his tone neutral. "Attacked an agent operating without the blessings of the Assembly that is. An agent toying with the thin line between loyal service and high treason. Don't get coy with me, Marcus. You know you shouldn't be here. And you knew you'd be tested. Be happy—you've passed another checkpoint."

"If you try a stunt like that again, I will retaliate, damage to the Maiden be damned." Marcus fought to keep his anger in check.

"And risk the wrath of your precious master? I think not," Haides said. "If you're quite done bitching, we can resume."

"Fuck you, Haides. I'm not diving in there with you again."

"As you wish."

------

Marcus stepped back in time again, to war-torn Thira, but this time he kept immersion shallow. Simple sensory input only. He did not want to be distracted if the gatekeeper attacked again.

------

"I kept a low profile over the next few days, staying mostly indoors and only going out at night. Stayed away from my usual haunts, the 57th compound included."

"Waiting for the word from Luca."

"Yes, but things didn't turn out as expected," Haides said. "One cold and early morning—the sun was nowhere near up, just barely hinting at dawn—I was ambushed by a group of my fellow Akakians on my way back to the apartment."

Marcus suppressed a snicker. "The great Haides, ambushed?"

Haides nodded. "Indeed. I had been careful, but not careful enough. My cautiousness was only skin deep. I had succumbed to overconfidence, to hubris. I believed myself victorious, and the Khiones destroyed. I knew that my brother was alive. I should have assumed he was not the only one remaining. There are always survivors."

"They were out seeking vengeance. And of course, they knew where you lived," Marcus interjected. He tried very hard not to sound pleased. He didn't entirely succeed.

"Are you smirking, Marcus?" Haides said. "You are. You're an evil man." When Marcus didn't reply, the gatekeeper continued. "That they did. I blamed Jan. That goes without saying. Truth be told, they hardly needed him to find me."

"Jan wasn't with your ambushers?"

"I didn't say that. I noted that even without Jan, they could have gotten to me," Haides said, draining his drink.