CHAPTER 52 - REUNION

"It wasn't easy," Cal said to the assembled dragonsworn. "But I was able to make it happen."

Her librarian's robes were pristine once more, and just as scandalously cut as before. She'd put on makeup, quite a bit, to conceal the last traces of her facial injuries. She'd even found time for dermal regeneration of the ruined lips. She smiled at Marcus to show off a new row of perfectly white and even teeth. The only thing that hinted at yesterday evening's violence was her hairstyle—off-center, expertly covering her imperfectly repaired ear. Efficient lady. Too bad things turned out the way they did. We could have been a great team. Or maybe not. Legates and nulls don't mix well.

"Took your time," Balack grunted. He'd dozed off, sitting on the couch next to his sleeping wife, and had gotten up on the proverbial wrong side.

Cal ignored him, directing her attention to Marcus, who was standing by the panoramic windows, watching the sunrise over the floating city. Traces of ancient contaminants colored the morning sky every hue of green there was, in addition to the more ordinary reds and pinks.

"We've waited all night for this to be arranged," Marcus said. His voice was neutral, stating a fact, without a hint of anger or impatience.

"Getting hold of everybody was hard, seeing as how most of them had gone to bed. But never mind that. The Maiden is being escorted here even as we speak. Ten minutes, fifteen at the most, and she'll be here," Cal assured him.

"Kwame?" Marcus said to the younger security officer. He was sitting at Calpurnia's desk, using the power of the Dark Omega to access the Pentacle's internal surveillance cameras. At some point during the night, he'd taken a shower and cleaned his uniform as best he could.

"It checks out. I see them on the Fourth Tier now. The Maiden is chained hand and foot. Explosive collar. Bag over her head. Eight gold-cloaks. Four of them armed with pistols."

"We carry guns indoors now. Never thought I'd see the day," Balack said to no one in particular.

"I was finally able to persuade the board of the Pentacle to allow you to see her without all the guards in the room. They will wait in the hall outside. But Balack and Kwame are required to be in the room. Or there is no deal."

"Wouldn't have it any other way," Marcus replied.

"She's to be restrained and collared at all times."

"Inconvenient, but acceptable."

"And it's a limited-time deal. No one set a deadline, but sooner or later, word will get out, and someone will real power will lean on the board, and they will shut you down, Marcus."

"I'm the best at what I do, dear Cal. A day, two at the utmost, and I'll have what I came for—and you'll get what you deserve." He put emphasis on the last word.

Cal froze. Her eyes widened. "Are you going back on our deal?

Marcus started laughing. "You should have seen your face," he said after bringing himself under control. The rest of the dragonsworn chuckled along. Only Cal didn't look amused.

"Oh come on, Cal," Marcus said. "I'm not backstabbing you," he lied without breaking stride. "That's your thing. But I'm not going to let you forget this. Ever. So suck it up." Marcus saw her anger evaporate, replaced with the certainty that she would get her due, as long as she held up her end of the bargain. I don't need telepathy to play you, lady. All humans are the same; inside and outside are wired the same.

It wasn't far from the truth. For most of his life, Marcus had known what people he met were both thinking and feeling. As a result, he knew better than anyone what this or that reaction really meant. He'd seen it all, thousands of times before. Reading people was like doing an exam with the answer key available. The only thing he couldn't do in Cal's case was to verify his answers. But that didn't mean he wasn't going to score full house.