CHAPTER 19 - SWEET DREAMS, MAIDEN FAIR

"Why so happy, Marcus?" the Maiden said, her voice soft.

Good question. I just saw Haides's mother murdered, and I'm feeling happy? He shook his head, trying to get rid of the smile, but failing. "I'm happy because I'm here, with you, at this particular time and place. It's like a dream come true." He laughed at his own joke. It felt pretty good. When was the last time I laughed?

"You lie," the Maiden said. "You laugh because you're a bad man. One that likes to tie up maidens and have his way with them."

That just made Marcus laugh some more. "Maybe I am at that. But at least I'm still human, not a soulless machine, so there is hope for me. If I serve the Dragon well, the Gods will surely forgive me, no?"

"If you say so," she said.

Marcus shook his head. "You do know how to spoil a nice moment, I'll give you that." He rose. "This session is at an end."

A very human, very anxious grimace flashed across the Maiden's face. It is a return to storage that she fears. Oblivion scares her. Not pain. Not injury. Oblivion.

Marcus reached forward and brushed away a wayward strand of hair, tugging it gently behind one of the maiden's elegant ears. "I'm not an evil man, Elizaveta. I just do what needs to be done, such is my duty."

"Cling to your excuses if it helps you sleep at night."

Marcus gave her a grim smile in return. "Yes, I can see your point. A man must take responsibility for his actions. As must a chimera like you, no?"

"Your point being?"

"You told me you knew what I was. That means you knew what I would do. Yet you chose a confrontational line. Why?"

"So you hurt me because I asked for it? Is that your explanation?"

"I hurt you because that is what I do to prisoners who resist. That I take responsibility for. You, however, were the one that chose not to comply, knowing what would happen. Not entirely innocent, are you?"

"Whatever."

"I'm not having you returned to storage. You may remain here, unbound, until I return on the morrow."

"I don't trust you," she said warily.

"I have no need for your trust, little one. I just want your information, that's all."

"I make no promises. If I can escape, I will."

Marcus rolled his eyes. "Escape? From the Pentacle? You couldn't even get out of this room." He nodded towards the three drones overhead. "You see those three? They are watching you. Very closely. If you, against all the odds, should look like you might get out..." he let the threat hang in the air, unsaid.

"They will terminate me," the Maiden finished for him. "Is that it?"

"Yes. Such is our watchers' duty. They will not shy from it," he said, looking straight into the camera lens of the closest drone.

------

"Can he do that?" Kwame said. "Leave her in there, I mean. She's supposed to be returned to storage when not being interrogated."

Balack shrugged, struggling not to let his relief show—this would make things a lot easier if played right. "I think you know the answer to that one, my young apprentice."

"Dragon Order prerogatives?"

"Something like that. As long as it doesn't endanger the Pentacle or it looks like she's about to run away, yeah, he can leave the chimaera in there. Normally, I'd say 'sure thing, guv'nor' and lock the thing away the moment the interrogator left, but..."