CHAPTER 8 - HUMAN AFTER ALL

Marcus pulled his interactive mental compartment back from the neural stream. It had been a vivid experience, watching events as they happened. Much more immersive than listening to a lecture. Like a trip into virtual, but more profound. I became them, Shiloh and Jarra. I could hear their thoughts, feel their emotions. Stand face to face with a legend.

Keeper Kaminsky of the Harbingers wasn't a man you forgot. The blind legate was one of the Order's most notable characters. When out of armor, his burned, eye-less face made him instantly recognizable. He had a centuries-long career under the Dragon banner. His victories were many and great, but it was for a single spectacular failure—the loss of his entire division—he was remembered the most. 

For many years now, he'd led the Harbingers, once considered the most elite force within the Ordo Draconis. Now it was a unit, small in size and operating a single starship, where misfits and old Knights were sent to die. It still had a fearsome reputation and was called upon to undertake the most dangerous missions, but the band of pariahs had no influence with the Assembly anymore.

Marcus knew that Xerza had some dealings with the blind legate-warrior from time to time. Personally, he'd only met the keeper in passing, exchanging nothing more than polite greetings. Where does Kaminsky fit into this? A mere coincidence? Or something more?

"How are you doing, young man?" Vern was watching Marcus closely, with a worried expression on his face.

"Full psychometric recordings. Amazing. How was it done? Are there more stored in the Maiden's archives?"

"I told you he'd be fine," Haides said.

"Based on what? A hunch?" Vern's voice made no secret of his disapproval.

"I drink, I kill—and I know stuff," Haides replied. "And this I know: this Marcus Aurelian who sits with us, he is no ordinary man. He is a legate extraordinaire, a scion of Apollo, and a dragonsworn. If anyone has what it takes to make it all the way, it is he."

What is this? Why the sudden praise? Up to this point, Haides hadn't been welcoming or forthcoming at all. He was—judging by his psychic aura—cold and manipulative, and not prone to outbursts of praise or showing affection. A change of heart? Or a change of tactics? I must be wary.

"He might be. I'll give you that, Haides. But rushing won't do him any good. Slow and steady is better, safer."

Haides ignored the older man. "Welcome to the Third Circle of Hell, Marcus. You've made it here in record time."

"I do not spy the great worm," Marcus said, pretending to look for the three-headed serpent—a fearsome beast that lurked in the third layer of Inferno—in the darkness beyond the ring of light.

Vern laughed out loud. Even Haides couldn't keep a faint smile from his lips—he quickly washed it away with a sip of liquor.

"Am I to understand that the security measures have a dual purpose? That they are intended to keep me safe?"

Haides's eyes narrowed, but it was Vern who replied. "There are not many who can step inside the mind of another and step back out, unchanged. You've proven that you can, and that's good. But there are ways to check without throwing you into the deep end."

"There is worse to come. If he'd failed this test..." Haides left the rest unsaid. "Have you heard enough about Akakios and Protasia, Marcus? Can we return to my story now?"

Marcus had a mouthful of conniaco, thinking through his options. Haides was the gatekeeper, but Vern was the architect and chief archivist. The older man was clearly also a psychic shadow, and like Haides, he retained some of his personality. He could be befriended—and manipulated. It would perhaps be possible to play the two against each other. Or find a security hole where their responsibilities overlapped and their priorities differed. The more time Marcus spent with both of them, the higher the chance of gaining an advantage.