𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚜 𝚜𝚞𝚌𝚔
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The beeping made my head throb but at least I knew I was alive. The lights above were dim and I had to squint to make out the figures in the chairs beside my bed.

"Kate!" One of the figures exclaimed. I identified her as Hazel. The second figure's head snapped up and I saw my mom.

"Kate, you're okay!" She hugged me and I automatically winced, expecting to feel pain but I didn't. I felt fine, aside from the room spinning around me.

"I am, just a bit dizzy," I muttered, pulling away and leaning back on the pillow below my head. Everything was so loud. Outside, crickets were chirping abnormally noisily.

"We were so worried about you!" Mom continued her frantic rant.

"How long was I out for?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"About four days," Someone new said from the other side of the bed.  I turned and saw May sitting there with who I could only assume was Peter beside her.

"Oh," I breathed, "So I missed school?"

"You did, Peter brought in your homework for you," Mom tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled warmly. She gestured to a stack of papers on the desk opposite me.

"Thanks, Parker," I managed.

My voice was weak and it kept cracking as I spoke so I just decided to stop talking.  Mom and May were looking at each other funny so I finally asked, "What's going on?"

"Oh-" Mom looked down calmly, calmer than she was looking at May, "We were debating whether or not to tell you...something."

I looked at her expectantly, "Well you have to tell me now."

"I suppose I do.  You had surgery, as you probably know.  Turns out you have a very rare blood type, dear.  The same as Peter, he was your blood donor."

I sat up slowly, eyes wide.

"Wow, um thanks Parker," I gasped.  He gave me a half smile and leaned forward.  I instinctively hugged him and he hugged me back.

"I need to talk to you in private." He whispered as we pulled away.

I looked at him strangely but he forced a smile back at me.  I plastered one on my own face as well and turned to face my mom.

"I'm so glad you're alright," She sighed, "I'll be right back, I'm gonna go get a nurse."

Mom left and May followed her so I was left with Hazel and Peter.

"How've you been, Hazelnut?" I chuckled, squeezing her hand softly.

"Lonely," My sister frowned. 

"Aw, I'm sorry," I leaned forward and kissed her forehead gently.

"It's not your fault you got shot,"

"It's Spider-Man's," I heard Peter mutter.  My small smile dropped and I turned to him.

"What do you mean?"