Chapter 3 ~ The Cemetery

The rest of the day went by in a blur. Tanner's class was torture. I know, shocker, right? I shared the class with Bonnie, Elena, and Stefan, who I refused to look at. But if I did, I would've noticed how he kept glancing at me. But, Bonnie and Elena did notice, and look at each other, smiling, already planning on how to get the two of us together.

Time skip to last period

The final bell rings, signaling the end of the school day, and I let out a sigh of relief. I gather my books and walk out of school with Bonnie and Elena, who are talking about Stefan. We make our way to Bonnie's car, stopping in front of it. We all turn towards each other.

"You guys ready?" Bonnie asks.

"Not really," I say.

"Same here," Elena echoes.

We all pile into the car, and Bonnie starts driving to the cemetery, none of us saying a word. We arrive 5 minutes later, making no effort to exit the car.

"I can't do this," Elena says, "Not today."

"That's ok, Elena," says Bonnie "I'll drive you home. Amber, want me to take you back too?"

I hesitate before answering, "No, I'm going to stay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah..." I say, getting out of the car.

"Ok. We'll see you at the grill later," Bonnie says, before starting the car and driving off.

I came to Mystic Falls with my adoptive parents. I met them 3 years ago, after a teacher at my previous school discovered I was living on my own and called CPS. They found out I was a vampire a few months after they adopted me. But instead of being scared and/or kicking me out, they accepted me. I loved them more than I did my original parents, and was devastated when they died in the car crash that took Elena and Jeremy's parents as well. I had stayed at the party, since Elena insisted she was ok. I just wish I could've said goodbye.

I turn around, facing the cemetery, take a deep breath and walk in.

"Hey mom, hey dad," I say softly, sitting down on the grass in front of their graves. "Today was the first day back at school. It was ok.." I trail off, "I saw him today, Stefan. I don't know what to do. I wish you were here to help me. I really miss you guys," I whisper, letting out a choked sob as a tear falls. I sit there, crying, wishing that my parents were here. My sobs slowly die off, and my tears dry up. Sniffling, I check the time on my phone, 6:45 pm. I slowly get up, knowing that I have to go get ready for the bonfire tonight.

"Bye guys, I love you," I say, gently brushing a hand over their tombstones. I'm brushing stray small pieces of grass off of my pants when I notice the fog. I look around and notice the fog. I spin around, eyes searching for something, anything when I spot a shadowy figure standing the distance. The figure takes a step forward, and my eyes widen. I turn, grabbing my bag, not noticing as my sketchbook drops out, and run as fast as I can out of the cemetery. I'm so focused on getting away, I don't notice the root sticking up and I trip, sprawling onto the ground. Hurriedly I jump up, glancing back as I begin running once more and slam into a hard chest.

~

QOTD: What do you think Amber looks like?

AN - Sorry for such a short chapter!! I know that in the show, Elena does go to the cemetery, but I thought for the sake of the story I'd change it up.

Edited, 617 words