Chapter 1 ~ The Car Ride

Present Day - September 3, 2009

I sit in my living room, blinking as I try to shake off the wave of panic the flashback brought on. That was almost 144 years ago. And still, after all this time, the memory of my death continues to haunt me. I moved back to Mystic Falls last year, which is when I met Bonnie, Elena, and Caroline. I've been close friends since the moment we met, and I love them all so much. I hate that I have to keep this secret from them, that I'm a vampire. But I can't drag them into this world, I can't put them in danger.

**bzz bzz**

The sound of my phone vibrating causes me to jump. I pick it up, reading the string of text messages.

 I pick it up, reading the string of text messages

I smile, laughing as I quickly text back.

I shut off my phone and put it in my back pocket before grabbing my backpack

I shut off my phone and put it in my back pocket before grabbing my backpack. I swing it over my shoulder and make my way to the front door. I leave the house and lock the door, and as I head down the walkway I see Elena rolling her window down.

"Took you long enough! Come on! Let's go, I don't want to be late!" she yells from the passenger seat of Bonnie's car.

Laughing, I open the car door and slide into the back seat.

"Don't be a worrywart, we'll be fine!" I say in response.

"That's what I've been saying, but she refuses to listen," says Bonnie.

"Oh, hush," Elena retorts as she rolls her eyes, "Let's just go already."

"As you wish your majesty," Bonnie replies, winking at me through the rear-view mirror making me laugh.

__________________________________________________________

As we make our way to the school, Bonnie tells us about the nonsense her Grams has been spouting. Well, what she thinks is nonsense. I know it isn't. I also know that Sheila isn't some crazy old woman. She and I are actually quite close, even though I'm a vampire.

"So Grams tells me how I'm psychic because we're descendants of the Celtic Druids; I know, right? I wasn't buying it either until I remembered my uncanny accuracy. I predicted Obama, I predicted David Cook, Heath Ledger, Britney's comeback and I still think Florida will break off and become little resort islands. I think there's something to it."

Bonnie looks over at Elena, seeing how she's spaced out.

"Hello? Lena," she calls, "Elena! Back in the car!"

Elena jumps slightly, looking at Bonnie, her face slightly flushed in embarrassment.

"Sorry, I did it again didn't I?" she says with an apologetic look, "So you were saying...?"

"That I'm psychic now."

"Ok, predict something about me then."

"Hm. Well-"

A bird slams into the windshield, cutting Bonnie off. She swerves slightly before quickly pulling over.

"Oh my God! Are you guys ok?! That bird came out of nowhere, " she says, worriedly, "I am so sorry!"

"Bon, it's ok," I say, slightly shaken.

"Can't be afraid of cars for the rest of my life, right?" says Elena.

Bonnie looks at both of us, a determined look forming on her face.

"You know what? I predict that this year is going to be kickass. All the dark and sad times will be over, and BOTH of you will be beyond happy."

Elena and I smile at Bonnie, her positive energy lifting us up.

After making sure that we're really ok, she starts the car again and we continue on our way to school.

__________________________________________________________

We arrive 5 minutes later and exit the car, taking a minute to look around. Mystic Falls High, says the sign in front of the school, Home of the Timberwolves. With a sigh, I link arms with Elena and Bonnie.

"Here we are, first day of Junior year. You guys ready?" I ask.

"Not even remotely," says Elena.

"Ditto" replies Bonnie.

"We got this," I say, giving their arms a reassuring squeeze. And with that, we make our way inside.

~

Edited, 675 words