Chapter 1

Goodbye Roman

Goodbye Roman...?

I WAKE UP to an empty bed missing the warmth of my wife Amelia, I pinch my eyebrows even further when I see the closet doors open and empty on her side. I shift in the bed and hear a piece of paper fall off the bed. I walk and open the envelope that had fallen. 

My Precious Roman, 

  I'm so sorry, I just couldn't bear to confront you about this face to face. I have left, I can't be the one you love. I can't support what you do, I can't keep wondering if you're going to come home every night or if something happened to you every time you forget to tell you you're coming home late. I know you told me the risks and to be honest I pretended to understand. I left the children because I know they'll be safer with you. Please remind them of me, never let them forget about their mother. Please, Ro.

I have one and last final request, don't try to find me or contact me. I'm doing this for a reason. 

Goodbye, Your Amelia. 

I drop the envelope once I finished reading and fell out the engagement ring I had given her after our twins were born, she had worn it for only 10 months. I pick it up and fall sobbing. My sister Rhyia comes into the room with a panicked look. Her gaze softened when she was met with me sobbing against one of the scarfs that Amelia had left where her scent is still present. 

"S-She left me Rhy" I sob into her shoulder and my heart shatters into a million pieces hearing the words come out of my mouth. 

She left me. 

"What? Why would she leave?" Rhyia hold my tear-stained between her black manicured hands, I handed her the letter and she skims through it. "I knew it, I was right about her. I knew she would leave just like mother did" 

I sob even harder and she takes notice, She pulls me into her embrace and I hold her close, "Cmon get up Ro, you can't be a father and The Don today. I'll take care of Sage and Karah and you're going to let Ethan and I take over today"

I stand up and get back into bed cuddling Amelia's pillow, "I'm gonna cleanse this room, so to the guest or mine you go" 

"No, please don't get rid of her" Rhyia looks at me with sincere eyes and nods, "Fine but only for today" 

Rhyia has been through so many breakup's this is like routine for her, once they break up she 'cleanses' her room to ex-proof them. Meaning getting rid of anything that reminds her of them. It's a way to create new walls to put up, but Amelia was my high school sweetheart. We'd been through thick and thin together, I couldn't get rid of her so easily as Rhyia does.

I hear my son's cries and I get up swiftly but Rhyia runs out the door before I can and she yells at me to get back in bed or she'll shoot my foot and I need feet. So I go back into cuddling her pillow and smell her citrus and Hazelwood scent on it. I hear the cries of my son recede into laughter and I grin slightly and fall asleep to his and Rhyia's laughter.