bullies and bravery

bullies and bravery

(three years before the events of Bully for You) 

- AND THEN I TRIP. 

The ground flips upside down, the ceiling flying beneath my feet, and, as I helplessly twist my body, the stairs stretch out to catch me. Since I'm not in any of my feline forms, I collide against the marble steps. The edges dig into my left side. My shoulder snaps. Pain shoots up my shoulder, arrowing straight between my eyes, turning everything into painful streaks of silver. 

The next thing I'm aware of is lying down at the bottom of the stairs, curled up into a ball. My left arm shoots needles up my spine every time I attempt to move it. I focus on breathing instead. My ribs hurt too. Unpleasant heat crawls up my spine, like blood swimming in reverse, and nausea makes me dizzy. 

"Winnie!" Jill, one of my classmates, cries. "Are you okay?" 

I press my lips together. If I open them, I might throw up.

Electricity makes the air prickle. Ava Abernathy climbs down the stairs, heels snapping against each tile. "She's fine. Right, Winnie?" 

"We should take her to the nurse." 

"That won't be necessary. She tripped over her own feet and she can get up on them too. I see no need to get any authority involved." 

"But -" 

"I said, enough." Sparks fly between Ava Abernathy's fingers. 

One burst of gold lands right by my nose. At the sight of her powers, people back away, including Jill. Other of my classmates, however, huddle closer to my body. 

Shadow Super Cougar vibrates with fury, her low growls making my entire body shiver. She press against my skin, trying to take over so she can hunt Ava down and make her pay. 

Enough. I shove her back. This isn't your fight. 

You are too permissive, she snarls. Somebody needs to put the witch in her place. 

Your ways are too violent. 

Violence is what she needs. 

Her presence overpowers mine, stealing each one of my limbs in preparation for a chase. Usually it's easier to keep Shadow Super Cougar at bay, but my broken shoulder makes it harder for me stay calm. My usual defenses crumble. I close my eyes and channel all my energy into forcing Super Shadow Cougar back. 

"...clearly in pain," Somebody else is say. 

"We need to get her to the nurse," Jill repeats. 

"She isn't getting up on her own." 

Ava Abernathy sighs. In her patronizing tone, she says, "Come on, everyone. Can't you see she's faking it? She wants your attention. If we all go back to our classes, she'll stop pretending and get on her own."