Fifteen || Conversations for You

CONVERSATIONS FOR YOU

"I CAN EXPLAIN," I BLURT OUT

Nick and Elliot's startled cries drown out my words. Nobody else hears me. They're all staring at my feet. Most of the cats have hit the ground running. Two of the smaller kittens sit in place, dumbfounded at the new location. Honey, my personal pet, scents Gamma Ray and Rome. She rushes over to greet them. 

"Honey!" I shout. 

"Winnie?" Gamma Ray catches Honey just as she leaps up onto his lap. 

In the meantime, some of the other, mature cats hop onto the table. They peer up at the occupants curiously. One of the men picks up Pirate, a one-eyed cat with beautiful long fur, and examines it with interest. 

"Neha, look at this one," He holds it up to eye level. I recognize his voice at once. After all, his face, sun-kissed, angled and with a permanent smile, has topped almost every Eligible Bachelors list for the last decade. He's not a super, but he is a prince - a member of the royal family of the Indian Islands. Prince Vasuki turns it. "See his eye? Poor thing."

"It seems well-fed despite its disability," Says the woman standing next to him. Unlike the Prince, she shows no emotion.In a black sari with diamonds woven in along the hem, it's the famous Neha Loch. She operates as a bodyguard for the Prince and has one of the most unique powers in the world: the ability to transport herself to any spot into the world within a second. 

"Go on and pet her," Prince Vasuki says. 

Neha obediently strokes the cat, her expression stone-cold. 

At the same time, another one of the Supers shrieks and scrambles on top of the table. She has a pink french braid and a bedazzled mask. Her name is Butterfly, a Super from East Japan. With the ability to see any and all inevitable events that occur in the future, she's one of the strongest seers in the world. 

"Come on, Butterfly," The final super in the room says. With white skin and grey hair, I recognize him as Silver Scales. The biggest shapeshifter in the world, Silver Scales has the ability to transform into a sea serpent.  "Get down from there." 

"You know how I hate cats." 

"You don't hate them, you're scared of them," He picks one of the skinny, hairless cats (whose name is Rufus) up and holds up to her face. She screams even louder.

The only one who hasn't said anything yet is Rome. 

Still at his position at the head of the table, he has hand over his face, covering his eyes. He looks exhausted and maybe even annoyed. Not a surprise. I did just ruin one of his unimportant meetings. To make things one worse, a cat, dubbed Owl because of the markings around her eyes, hops on top of his head. I run over and take her off. 

"Rome, I'm so sorry," I whisper and toss Owl back on the floor. "I thought you were going to be out of town for the meeting..." 

 He lowers his hand and pulls me into a kiss.