Five || Made for You

MADE FOR YOU

BEFORE I KNOW IT, MY LAST DAY ON THE JOB CREEPS AROUND THE CORNER

In just two hours, my shift will end and I"ll never to see any of the Abernathys again. Unless, that is, Aunt Mae invites me back for another shift. 

I'm not as relieved as I thought I would be. As stressful as this job was, it pays incredibly well. I got a peek at my paycheck that I'm getting at the end of the day and - well, let's just say that it'll allow me to pay the next three months of rent in advance. Maybe I can even get a new toaster oven for Wasteland. Maybe I can buy some of those cute fuzzy socks I've been seen in the stores. 

I allow the possibilities to fill up my mind as I unpack the crystal wine glasses. 

Rome's birthday party is tomorrow. Although I won't be present for the festivities, I still have to help set up the decorations in ballroom of a hotel called Five Stars. It's the most expensive hotel in Capital City and they've booked out the main ballroom for six hours. 

It's going to be quite an event. A part of me wishes I could see it. 

I admire the way the white light hits the crystal wineglass, sending rainbows across the golden marble, and set it down next to the others. Once I'm done with the box, I walk into the garage to grab the next one. 

"Winifred Hart?" 

Madame Abernathy steps out of a low, sleek, car with her chauffeur opening and closing the door for her. She holds up a hand to signal me. I pause in my tracks, then head in her direction. 

Clad in a snug, white fur coat and high black boots, Madame Abernathy looks as elegant as ever, even in this dreary weather. She shakes out her golden waves, which are slightly damp from the rain outside, and gives me a pleasant smile.

"Good evening, ma'am," I say, crossing my arms behind my back. "Is there anything I could do for you?" 

"As a matter of fact, there is," She tells me. "From what I understand, you have managed to deliver items to Rome Abernathy without any incidents, correct?"  

I swallow. "Correct." 

"I want you take this briefcase," She holds up a brown leather case the size of my arm. "And deliver it to Rome Abernathy. Be careful with it, as it contains some dangerous contents. As per last time, I don't want you to talk to anybody besides his bodyguards." 

"Yes, ma'am," I begin to turn away.  

"And Winifred?" 

"Rome has told me that one of the maids here is pregnant and does not have enough money to pay her medical bills," She picks off a piece of blonde hair off her coat with a frown. "Would you happen to know of whom is he speaking about?" 

"No, ma'am," It's hard to force out the words. I thought he had forgotten all about my pretend baby. "I don't think so." 

"If you hear otherwise, let me know."