Ten || Wondering for You

WONDERING FOR YOU 

(FOUR YEARS AGO)

"ROME," I CALL. "Rome!" 

He can't hear me. Out on the acres of SAVE academy, Rome Abernathy's busy participating in a mock-duel with his friends. He balances between battling Miles Gonzales, an illusionist who can create sensations on your skin, and Grace, a woman with super aim. Out on the sides, people cheer and call out insults. 

I call Rome's name out a couple more times. Some people in the audience turn to me curiously, then look back at the game. Rome shows no signs of hearing me. 

With a sigh, I turn back to the written invitation in my hand. Maybe I should just throw it away. I could pretend like he just ignored it and go through my day without any more drama. 

Don't be a coward, Shadow Super-Cougar whispers. 

You always come at the worst times. 

You're a cat. Act like one. 

I face the unyielding blue sky. The sun dares me to step forward, rays of hot light bursting through the cracks and patterns in the canopy. Shadow Kitten and Shadow Cat urge me forwards while Shadow Cougar watches grudgingly from the shadows. Shadow Super-Cougar prowls back and forth, barely restraining herself. 

Alright, alright. I'll do it. 

Tucking the invitation into my pocket, I climb down the steps of the SAVE Academy Building of History and Arts. As I weave through the audience, I tuck the grey hood of my jacket further around my face. 

Grace charges two fake arrows towards Rome's directions. Before I can blink, he has them turned around and heading back in her direction. He shakes off his jacket and uses it to tie Miles into a bundle. Both of them topple and the game officially ends. A cheer rises from the watching crowd.  

Rome Abernathy turns around. "Hey cutie." 

"You could hear me all along," I realize. "Why didn't you answer?"

"Because I wanted you to come to me, not the other way around," He narrows his eyes, turning his attention fully to me. Now that the game is over, everybody starts to leave. "Why are you hiding your face?" 

"No reason," And then, suspecting his next steps, I grab onto the hood. Sure enough, I feel my hood tug against my fingers, wanting to go back down. But I manage to hold on to it in the nick of time. Rome just laughs when his attempt doesn't succeed. 

"I suppose that was the most obvious move. Perhaps I'm getting too predictable," He muses and makes a motion with his hands. The jacket rises from Miles and tucks itself back around Rome's shoulders. He makes another motion with his hands and Grace's arrows fly off the ground and right in my direction.