6

"I can't believe you missed that catch," Brent said in an annoyed tone, directed at Max and Max alone.

"Well excuse me for getting tackled," Max spat back at him.

You're probably wondering what's going on, well let me recap. Max and Marcie bumped into me when I was leaving the library, they offered for me to sit with them at lunch, which I kindly declined. They kept insisting I come with them, which I eventually caved in, obviously, and now I'm stuck at a table with Brent, Mia, Marcie, Max, and a few of their jock friends which are thankfully ignoring me.

"So Alex, how's your project coming along?" Marcie asked, trying to change the subject before Max and Brent got into a fistfight.

"We haven't started yet," Mia said, I could feel Mia shooting daggers at me, I didn't even have to look at her to know she was getting annoyed with me.

"Why not?" Max asked.

"Because someone never showed up last night," Mia said.

She's right I didn't show up last night, I was supposed to but, well things got pretty eventful last night.

"I already said I was sorry Mia," I said.

"I looked like an idiot sitting there all that time waiting for you to show up Alex."

We had agreed on meeting up at this small burger joint to grab a bite before we went back to her house to start working, but like she said I never showed up.

"You could have at least sent me a text," she muttered under her breath.

"I was going to but I was busy."

"With what?"

"I can't say."

"And why not?"

"It's personal, I had some family stuff come up last night," I said, feeling my body tense at just mentioning it.

Mia shot me a questioning look, before turning her attention to Brent.

I was still trying to wrap my head around yesterday's events, I still couldn't believe that she showed up, part of me feels like there was more to her showing up besides wanting forgiveness. Not only that but also the kindness that Kevin showed me after her leaving.

"Tommy, open the door," Kevin shouted, banging even harder on my bedroom door.

I groggily got out of bed, walking over to my door, unlocking it before opening it to see Kevin on the other side.

"Were you asleep?"

"Yeah," I said, still half-sleep.

"Get dressed, we're going out for dinner."

"Dinner?"

"Yeah you were asleep almost all day, now go get dressed."

Had I really slept in that long? Closing the door I walked over to my bedside table, looking at my alarm clock to see it was six p.m. I guess I had slept most of the day away then, I hurriedly threw some clothes on, before grabbing my phone and wallet off of the bedside table. I walked out of my room, to see Kevin waiting for me by the front door.

"Ready?" Kevin asked, opening the front door.

"Yeah." I walked ahead of him, waiting for him to lock the door before we walked over to his truck.

Getting in, he started the truck, pulling out of the driveway as we made our way to town.

"So, when did she leave?" I asked.