7

So my feeling was right, Brent definitely wasn't done with me. I went from being invisible to almost everyone in the school to being targeted by one of the school's biggest bullies. Have I mentioned I hate my fucking life, didn't help Kevin has been drunk almost every day since my mom showed up, so he's been a real delight to be around. At least I was for the most part able to avoid him since I had recently gotten a part-time job.

Then to make matters worse, Brent and Max got into a fist-fight shortly after Mia and I left the party, now they aren't friends anymore. I'm sure Brent will find a way to blame me for that, so far he hasn't done anything but a few juvenile attempts on getting to me. Like "accidentally" bumping into me, or his buddies calling me names, nothing bad, but I'm sure that'll change, especially since Mia has been clinging to me.

Not that I'm complaining about that part though, since we've been hanging out, I'm starting to smile again, I feel a little bit of happiness again.

"How about this?" Mia asked as she painted in a few more trees.

I was currently over at Mia's house, finally working on our project.

"Looks good," I said, standing a few feet away to admire her work.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, it makes it pop."

Mia walked over to where I was standing to get a better look at the painting.

"I didn't think your artwork could get any better than before, but damn Alex, you're really good," Mia said causing me to blush.

"I'm not that good," I said, but I knew she wasn't wrong, it might sound egotistic of me but my art was the only thing that I was truly good at.

"You are though," she said defending her earlier statement.

"You're pretty good yourself."

"You think?"

"Definitely," I said, as Mia's face brightened.

"So, any plans for after graduation?"

"Getting the hell away from this town for one," I said, once I graduated, I planned on getting as far away from this town and Kevin as possible, starting fresh.

"And go where?"

"Anywhere with a good art school that'll accept me."

"Have you applied to any of them yet?"

"A few, just waiting for an answer."

"I'm sure you will hear from them soon, they'd be stupid not to accept you."

"What about you?" I asked.

"Not really interested in going to college if I'm being honest, I'd rather open up my own business," she said, with a certain glimmer in her eyes.

"What type of business?"

"Something like a rescue center for animals. Sounds stupid doesn't it," Mia said, doubt in her voice.

"Not at all, I think it's a great idea," I said, trying to reassure her.

Mia smiled brightly at me as she began to clean her paintbrushes.

"Do you work tonight?" Mia asked, turning to look at me.

"Yeah, I don't get off till nine tonight."

"When is your next day off?"

"Tomorrow actually."

"'You want to do something then?"

"Like what?" I asked

"I don't know a movie or something, they're showing a horror movie that I heard is really good."

"But you don't like horror movies," I said, helping Mia put away the supplies we used.

"Yeah but you do," Mia said, blushing.

"Sure, s-sounds fun," I said, looking away from her as my cheeks turned red.

"Cool," she said, as we fell into a comfortable silence.

_______________________________

"Hey, Alex do you mind taking out the trash for me? I hate asking but we're really swamped out front," Mark asked, Mark was a waiter at the restaurant I work at, he's only a few years older than I am.

"Yeah sure I don't mind," I said, rinsing the plate I washed before drying my hands on the apron I had to wear.

"Thank you so much," he said before going back to the front of the restaurant.

I walked over to the back door, opening it to see two trash bags sitting against the wall. Grabbing the bags, I carried them over to the dumpster, setting one bag down, I slung the bag into the dumpster before doing the same with the other one.

Right when I was about to turn to go back to the restaurant, I was grabbed by someone, panic set over me as I started to fear the worse. Was I going to get killed? Or kidnapped?

I was spun around only to be met face to face with Brent.

Wait what? Why was Brent here?

"I warned you to stay away from her," Brent spat at me before his knee made contact with my stomach, causing all of the air in my lungs to leave my body.

My body crumbled to the ground, as Brent kept delivering blows to me, I couldn't keep up with his kicks and punches, he was relentless, he was like a mad man. My eyes grew heavy as I was starting to lose consciousness, the last thing I can remember hearing is someone tackling Brent off of me, and the sound of someone's voice begging me to stay awake.