8

"Ready or not here I come," my mom's voice sang out, as I could hear her walking around in different parts of the house, trying to find me.

At the sound of her getting closer to my hiding spot, I couldn't help but let out a small giggle. Her footsteps grew closer until they stopped right in front of where I was, the cabinet doors flung open as I was grabbed.

"I found you," my mom happily said as she picked me up, holding me close to her.

"Again, let's play again," I said, excitedly clapping my hands together.

"Just one more time ok."

That one more time turned into three. My mom eventually had to tell me she couldn't play anymore that day so she could cook dinner.

"Read this one," I said grabbing my favorite book off of the shelf.

"You want this one again Tom Tom?" my mom asked as I climbed into bed.

"It's my favorite."

"Ok, fine," she said, sitting down beside me on my bed.

Opening the book she began to read to me, showing me the picture every so often when one would appear on the pages. We had only gotten halfway through the book when I started to fall asleep, she closed the book, setting it down on my bedside table.

Leaning forward she placed a kiss on my forehead, pulling away from me, she pulled my blanket further up on me.

"Good night sweetie."

"Good night momma," I said yawning, as I snuggled up to my favorite stuffed animal.

"You know I love you right?"

"I do."

"Good," she said with a soft smile on her lips.

She stood from the bed, walking over to the door as she turned out my bedroom lights, letting the nightlight cast a soft glow on the room. She closed the door to my room, as I drifted off to sleep.

"Come on sweetie, wake up," I heard someone say, as a pair of warm hands wrapped around mine.

I slowly opened my eyes to see a blurry figure standing beside me, there was an annoying beeping sound in the room as well. Where was I?

"I was so worried about you," my mother's voice said.

Wait why was my mom here? The better question was, why was I in so much pain? My body felt like it had been hit by a truck or something.

After my eyes finally decided to clear I was able to see my mom standing to my right. Why was she here? I still didn't know where the hell I was.

"Where am I?" I asked feeling extremely confused.

"Honey you're in the hospital," my mom said.

"I am?"

"Do you not remember what happened?" she asked.

"I, uh," I said right as the doctor entered the room.

"Hello Thomas, my name is Doctor James. How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I'm hurting."

Everything was hurting, it hurt to breathe, even moving was painful.

"I imagine you are in some pain, you have two broken ribs, a fractured arm, and a small concussion," he said.

"I do?" I asked, still feeling confused.

"Do you not remember what happened?" he asked.

"Not really," I said.